Dog Not Feeding Her Puppies

If a female dog stops feeding her puppies, first check to make sure she does not have an issue with her nipples. Then depending on the age of the pups, you can help them out by feeding liquid puppy formula or goat's milk for older pups. This is a guide about a dog not feeding her puppies.

My beautiful Pit Bull had 7 healthy pups 3 weeks ago today. She has been a great new mother. However yesterday one of boobies has started to swell up. She seemed fine. But today I got home from work and it's very large, hard, and she seems in much pain and won't feed the pups. I applied a warm wet cloth to it and got her comfy. But she still won't feed them. She isn't wanting to eat as much, but will eat some and drink water still. Should I start bottle feeding the pups asap?

Answers

Best Answer

Call your vet immediately for help for the mother and her babies. If the mother has an infection (most probably), she needs treatment immediately and she will not improve without medical help.

Best Answer

Mastitis is an extremely dangerous condition where the nipple becomes infected. The dog will need antibiotics. You will probably also be required to apply hot compresses to the area.

My Pit mom isn't wanting to feed her pups anymore and I can't afford the replacement milk what can I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Are the puppies old enough to eat solid food? If not, you should try to find out if there is a food bank or other group that helps with pet supplies, as the puppies really should receive Esbilac, or a similar brand of puppy milk replacer. Some areas do have food banks that supply pet foods, too. Perhaps a pet rescue group in your area can help.

Otherwise, ask a vet for a recipe for a home made formula appropriate for the pups. You'll also have to help the puppies to move their bowels and bladders by stroking their lower bellies very, very gently if the mom neglects to do this. Have some toilet paper or tissues handy for the cleanup. This is what the moms are doing when they lick their puppies. Good luck!

My dog won't nurse her almost 4 week old puppies unless I make her and I have to lay down next to her and pet her during the process. This all started about a week ago when my parents came to visit and brought their dog with them. They have been gone now for a few days, but she still won't nurse them without my help and the 2am feedings are getting old. Help please. Can they eat puppy food and water and be fine?

By Michelle Merriam H.

Answers

Best Answer

If mom won't feed any longer, there are milk replacement supplements and feeding bottles at Pet supply stores such as Petsmart, feed stores, etc. There is also a powdered goats milk which can be supplemented for most animals, including dogs and cats. Soft foods can be introduced at 4 weeks. I have also soaked a little dry puppy food in milk supplement in the past when fostering litters. You should check with your vet to see what best suits your situation.