Dog Stopped Feeding Pups?

My Chihuahua's puppies are 6 weeks & 2 days old now (as of 6/21/20). She is still producing milk like crazy, but she's not been letting the puppies suckle on her since they were like 5 weeks old. Her boobs are really big and hard as rocks, it looks very uncomfortable. I'm just wondering what I should do? She won't let the puppies feed off her. So do I just leave it alone? Do I need to try to milk her myself? What do I do?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

There could be another reason she is not allowing the puppies to feed from her. My dog had puppies and like you I had no idea about any of this because it was my first and last time I did this one. There could be another issue why the mom is not allowing the babies to feed off of her. My female developed an infection and it hurt her so bad to allow the dogs to feed off her. I am lucky I caught this one really early and it saved her life. After her operation she was still producing milk but would not allow the puppies to feed off her again. I had to go back to the vet and get some pills to stop her milk from producing. If you do not take care of this one soon it could harm the mom and this is not good at all.

Best Answer

Your dog may have mastitis. It is a bacterial infection in the teet.

It is very painful. Your dog needs to see a Vet to see what bacteria she has and which antibiotic to use to stop it.

Best Answer

She definitely needs to get on an antibiotic. She has what looks like clogged milk ducts which can lead to a nasty infection and extreme discomfort and pain. Please don't hesitate. Most vets accept some form of payment plan like care credit or scratch pay, if money is a problem.

Please contact a Vet, there could be some underlying issue with her. The pups seem old enough, but she is still filling up. She seems irritated by something that making her resist! The Vet can advise and help her through this.

Pets Dogs HealthJune 21, 2020
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dog-Stopped-Feeding-Pups.html