Dog Not Eating or Drinking After Having Puppies

My dog large had 17 pups, 4 died. Can she nurse 13 pups? One day later, she is not drinking or eating. What should I do?

Answers

Best Answer

After my female dog gave birth to her puppies she refused to eat or drink. She wouldn't leave the puppies alone for the first 24 to 48 hours. This is the most critical time for the new puppies. I had to take her food and water to her. She finally started eating a little bit later on.

Normally new puppies will suck on their mom for the first 24 hours non-stop. This is what I saw with my dog. The dog needs the antibiotics that are supplied in the mother's milk. This is normal. Try moving her water bowl and food bowl closer to her. This helped and my female did eat and drink after I did this. The first 3 days I had to keep filling her water dish all the time and leave it next to her.

The mother is also keeping the puppies warm. New puppies can't see or hear until they are around 18 to 21 days old. They can smell and they need the warmth of each other and the mother. They have no way of keeping warm on their own.

Answer this Question

8 More Questions

My Pit Bull gave birth this past Sunday. She's not eating, but is drinking her water. Please advise.

Answers

Best Answer

She may be very excited about caring for her new babies I hope she has started eating.

Be sure no one is messing around very much with her babies as they can get worried and not want to leave them - even to eat.
Most vets recommend that all food and water be placed very close to the new Mom so she does not have to leave her pups.
Also, give her the type of food she really loves (at least for a while) and some recommend a little puppy food as this is easier (and faster) for her to digest. You cannot give her just puppy food and not for a long period of time as it may not have enough of the right ingredients an adult dog needs.

Be very sure she drinks a lot of water as this is very important for her health and the babies health.

If possible, take her to her vet but if not, then maybe a phone call to see what they tell you to do.

You can read what some vets recommend:

www.wikihow.pet/Feed-and-Hydrate-a-Mother-Dog

www.pethealthnetwork.com/.../monitoring-new-mother-after-puppy...

Answer this Question

My dog has been nursing for 2 weeks and hasn't produced enough milk so a few days ago I started feeding them myself along with her, but now I have to force her to nurse and she has stopped eating and drinking. What can I do?

Answers

Not drinking can lead to dehydration. Call the bad immediately.

When this happened to my female dog she had an infection that they had to operate on her immediately to save her life. This could be dangerous and something that needs to be looked at. I would call your vet and get her in there right away.

Please get your pup to the vet ASAP! Not drinking when nursing can e very serious. Not eating is bad, but not drinking is worse.

The vet can figure out what is going on and can also get you the best product to feed the pups.

Post back with an update. Prayers for all!

Take care of the babies keep feeding them until mom can take over.Then mom needs a vet and probably antibiotics

I am glad this resolved itself. If she stops eating again be sure and get her to the Vet right away. They can get infections that progress rapidly and can be very serious.

Answer this Question

My baby Henn just had puppies yesterday and she was drinking and eating, but now she won't drink any water and I have to bring her the food. I have the water bowl and food in front of her.

Answers

She needs to drink to feed her puppies. I would call the vet.

She is most likely just caring for her pups basically making sure theyre ok before she is just like if u where a mother you feed your children before you feed yourself Im pretty sure shell go back to eat eventually

Anonymous

Yes I know but she is eating but she want on her on but she will when I feed her but she is laying around not her self

You could try adding water to her food to get her to drink more. If she continues to not eat and drink she needs to see the Vet. I suspect she is just adjusting to the puppies. Be sure she has a quiet place to be with her puppies where she feels safe and relaxed.

same like my mama dog Julia..she just gave birth 2days ago..fter she gave birth she did eat and drink a lot..almost finished her bowl of chicken meat and water..then the next day..she refused to eat and drink the whole day..i put her bowl near to her bed but still she refused..but that night time she ate the chicken and drnk water..so i think its normal and within a week mybe..she'll go back to her normal apetite...

Anonymous

Thankyou for your suggestion about adding water to her food- its worked a treat!

Answer this Question

My female dog gave birth and none of the puppies survived. Ever since 2 days ago when another puppy came out of her, which we also found dead, she hasn't been eating or drinking.

What should we do to help her?

Answers

Get her to the vet ASAP !!!! She may have another dead puppy inside her that is causing an infection to start. It could eventually kill her.
Don't delay!!!!!

My 4 year old Yorkie just had a litter of 6. All are well. She, on the other hand, will not eat much of anything, but drinks okay. She is nursing well and I am afraid that it is draining her without replenishing. She also is still doing the nesting ritual. She is alert and active. Any suggestions?

By johnny c from FL

Answers

I recommend you give her vet a call, just to be sure. They can refer back to her medical records and give the best advice. I hope mama is feeling better soon!

Thanks. I took her to vet today again and they said that she was fine, took blood all was good. They also gave her some fluids. Suggested we force feed he with a syringe with some prescription food for a few days. She is looking better already.

:-) I'm really glad you took her in, and that she's already improving! Did they say why this might be happening? I've never had a pet who had babies (all of our pets have been fixed), so I don't know if this is normal/to be expected. Again, I'm so glad she's starting to do better!

Thanks I put water in her feed and feed her and she started to eat .. sometime you have to feed it to her. But I also give her Vitamins so it would give her Appetite

Anonymous

What Cain of vitamin I need to buy one for my dog

My dog gave birth to 4 pups 34 hours ago and she will not stop panting and also doesn't want to drink water. How can I help her?

How long will the bitch refuse to eat after giving birth to four puppies?

Answers

She devotes her attention to the pups for 24-48 hours. Call the vet if she doesnt eat after that.

Answer this Question

My toy Yorkie just had pups on Oct 16th, but they both died. Does anyone know how I can help her? She is looking for her pups and is not eating.

Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 23, 2017
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dog-Not-Eating-or-Drinking-After-Having-Puppies-1.html