Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

Caring for a puppy that is younger than typical weaning age can present its own challenges. This is a guide about caring for a 5 week old puppy.

I was given a Min Chi pin a few days ago. He is 5 weeks old, and I didn't know he was suppose to be with his mom until 8 weeks. Can someone give me advice on the best way to care and train my dog?

By AnDria R

Answers

Best Answer

I would go to petsmart and let them know your situation, and I would bottle feed him for a couple weeks. They should have some type of formula/milk type stuff for you to give it.

Best Answer

You should consider taking him back for a couple of weeks. They need the pack and mom to show them how to socialize. Also mom stimulates their bottom to improve feeding and make their bowels move (sorry, but its true).

If it's not an option go to a good pet store they have milk similar to moms and can help with advice. Be sure to socialize him to as many different things as you can to help him become a well adjusted puppy, good luck.

Best Answer

I gave young puppies Purina Puppy Chow with a little slightly warm water over it and they did great. They lap the water with dissolved food and in a few days they are eating the softened food. Then on to dry puppy chow Also, as soon as they are old enough to be given a small puppy treat, I put in on "their rug" (small throw rug or pad). If they moved it to the floor or carpet, I picked it up, put it back on the rug, with the instructions "on the rug" or "on the bed" and soon they would take their snack/treat and go directly to their rug/pad to enjoy. Our dog will lay the treat down if her rug/bed is not down for her to place it on.

Best Answer

Note that it is okay to socialize him with people who are gentle, but be careful taking him around other dogs until he has had his shots. A friend of mine introduced a five-week-old puppy to some other dogs and the puppy got distemper and died.

Best Answer

Be sure and see your Vet soon to see what puppy shots are needed. You need to be on schedule to avoid Parvo and distemper.

How do I get my 5wk old puppy to sleep through the night and drink water?

Answers

Best Answer

You can put a clock in a towel. The ticking will remind the puppy of its mother.

Best Answer

You have a really young puppy. 5 weeks is really too soon to take a puppy from the mother. He will need extra care for a few weeks. You can check with your Vet.

(Get those Parvo shots soon) I have a friend who does rescue and she uses a "Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy". They cost around 30 bucks. I believe Amazon sells them. They mimic a mothers heartbeat and calm the puppy.

I have had a five week old Poodle puppy put into my house. I am at a total loss as to how to deal with this. I have never had one that young. Help.

By joy

Answers

I have a poodle mix that is turning 4yrs old and I've had him since he was five weeks old as well. What I did since he was so young I made sure to still feed him milk. I found in the pet area at Walmart the little milk carton looks like a little juice box very small. I also bought puppy food and made sure to grind it. The first week I gave him more milk and then slowly and the ground food to the milk.

He was so small that I had to put my finger sometimes in his little bowl and then touch his mouth with so he would get the idea. Also, I went to the vet and payed for a puppy packaged that included all his shots (cheaper as a package). The milk was like $3.50 per carton so I made sure not to be wasteful. I stayed there and fed him to make sure he was eating. Seriously, I think this doggy of mine thinks I'm his mother lol. Good luck. :)

I have two English bulldog puppies that are 5 weeks old. The mother has nothing to do with them. I have been bottle feeding since they were 1 week old. How often and how much should I feed them and when can they eat regular puppy food.

Josie from El Paso, TX

Editor's Note: Here are some other posts about feeding young puppies on ThriftyFun

Answers:

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

At five weeks they could/should be eating dry puppy food. Mine started on their own at 3 1/2 weeks (08/02/2007)

By Glenda

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

If you can't find a source of fresh goat milk (ask at the feedstore or go to the American Dairy Goat Association online to find a goat person near you) then there is canned or powdered goat milk in the stores. Feed very tiny amounts and then feed water between times, at first. Never dilute milk with water as is commonly recommended. It is very important for the milk to react with stomach acids and form a solid in the stomach in order to be digested right and not cause diarrhea. With water dilution it won't set right. Your vet will have a very expensive formula to use if you are completely desperate. (08/02/2007)

By Kim Churchman

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

You can start teaching the puppies to eat dog food at 2 weeks of age. I would put a little bit of the can dog food (this is mushy and easier for them to eat) on my finger and put into the puppy's mouth. I would do this twice a day for about a week to a week and a half as it takes about this long for them to learn to eat. At about the age of 2 weeks the mother does not constantly feed the puppies. By the time the pup is 4 weeks old, I would be using dry dog food with water on it so it is easier for the puppy to eat the dog food. You must remember the mother usually starts to wean her puppies about 6-7 weeks old. By the time she weans the puppy it can eat dry dog food with no water on it. I do not know how often to feed milk to the puppy. I have not had to do that in a very long time.

(08/03/2007)

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

You must ask the vet. He will tell you exactly how often and what to feed. He might even have a formula for them or he will tell you what to feed them. If you can't afford a vet, an English Bulldog rescue will probably take them off your hands and give them good care until they can find them a loving home. If you need to find a rescue, you're local animal shelter or SPCA can help. (08/11/2007)

By Nan Corpe

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

I have a five and half week old pit bull who wouldn't eat. I tried baby food and wet Eukanuba mixed together (it's very messy but he ate it). I wanted him to eat something more so I bought baby dog Royal Canine which he likes (but doesn't eat on a regular basis). What I found most helpful and what he guzzles down is newborn puppy milk that you can buy from PetCo (it's on the same aisle as the vitamins). Good luck! (03/22/2008)

new puppy

I am about to be given a 3 1/2 wk old puppy half Wiener dog, half mix of who knows what. I know it is probably too early to take the puppy away from her mother, but the family is just getting rid of all the puppies. Will someone please give me some suggestions on what to do to take care of such a young puppy? ex: food? environment?

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Way too early to take a puppy away from it's mother. 6 weeks is a minimum and 8 weeks is much better. Your pup will have a much better start if you can convince the owners to keep the pups longer.

(07/17/2008)

By Nickie

I have a 5 week pit bull puppy. I'm unsure on what to feed him. He also won't stop crying. Can anyone give me suggestions on what to do and tell me why he cries?

By Morena

Answers:

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

I don't know the circumstances as to why you have a 5 week old pup (at 5 weeks they should still be with the mom) anyway, if for some reason she/he can't be with mom you can get some puppy milk and feed him with a syringe. Once he gets older (7-8 weeks) try adding some really soft moist food (like a/d, available at the vets) to the milk and continue to feed him with the syringe. Then you can try giving him the a/d -milk mixture on a plate till he learns how to eat solids. Hope this helps you out. (12/21/2010)

By valerie workman

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

Check with your vet about feeding. There is milk replacement available at pet stores. You can try putting a ticking clock in the bed with him. It seems to quiet puppies. Good luck. (12/22/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

Although I appreciate the sentiment, I would really think twice about taking this puppy back to his mother, simply because, if the mother dog's pet owners were irresponsible enough to give you this puppy at 5 weeks, I wouldn't trust them another day with this precious pup. On the other hand, if they were just unaware. Well, I'd still think more than once. He is crying because he was separated from his mother way too young. His future is now in your hands, Morena. Advocate appropriately.

Did the pup come from a healthy mom or was he rescued? Either way, please contact your vet as soon as possible. The vet can help you help this pup through this difficult transition (feeding advice and emotional support). This little puppy is counting on you to save him. Thanks for asking an important question (feeding) and best wishes for the two of you to have a long and happy friendship. Now go call your vet, okay? (12/25/2010)

By Cindy

What should I feed a 5 1/2 week old puppy?

I have a 5 week old puppy. My mother's dog is the mum, she hasn't got much milk left, so I decided to try and nurse him on puppy milk, but he won't lap. When I take him to visit my mum he will lap for her. What am I doing wrong? Please help, I am so worried.

I have a 5 week old puppy. He keeps throwing up after sucking milk. They are Chinese Crested Puffs. What should I feed them beside goats milk and pablum?

How do you care for a very small 5 week old puppy?

I have a pit bull/mastiff puppy that is about 5 weeks old. I just want to know what I should do with her to help her grow healthy. She cries most of the day, even when she's eating and drinking. I really need some advice on this.

I adopted a 3 week old pitbull pup. Her mom was killing the puppies and she is the only one to survive. I have been bottle feeding her and she shows no signs of aggression.