Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed?

Spaying is a major medical procedure. Your dog may not be very interested in food after the surgery. This is a page about dog won't eat after being spayed.

My Shihtzu/Maltese has been spayed seven day ago. She was fine, got some pain medicine and cleaning solution but now she is not eating. She plays good and drinks water, should I worry?

Doris from SJ CA

Answers

By Becky (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Yes, you should be worried about your dog not eating post surgery. It is possible that there is an infection or some stitches that missed being removed, etc. Your best bet is to take your pet back to the vet for follow up treatment immediately

By Mythi (Guest Post)
Best Answer

When my dog was ill the vet asked on the phone if she was eating and drinking. She said not drinking, bring her in right away. For food she said if they don't eat after 24 hours they should be seen.

Sounds like you need to take her in. She could have an infection in her incision.

By Riley (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I've worked at a vet's office for four years now, If the dogs is not eating then you need to call the vet. Also Moniter if she has vomited, drinking water, or has diarrhea. I could be something serious. On another note, you said something about meds? How are you giving the meds? Shihtzu/Maltese are know for being picky eaters and if she is getting meds in something better than her bland kibble, then there is a chance she is holding out for the better food. Try offering her some wet canned food. I recommend Hill's prescription diet A/D.

My dog had a bacterial infection and quit eating hard food, but was drinking lots of water. She was put on antibiotics and got spayed, that was almost 2 weeks ago and she still refuses to eat her hard food.

She will eat soft food though. She is very active and drinking water, why will she not eat her hard food again?

Answers

Best Answer

If this is an issue you can always take some water or even some chicken broth and mix it with her dry dog food to soften up the food. Sometimes after a dog has had surgery they become picky eaters. I would soften the dry food with some liquid and see if she will eat it then. If not then mix a little of the wet food with the dry food and this one should work.

Best Answer

Please check with the vet on this. My worry is damage was done to her throat or teeth when she was intubated for surgery.

It is important for the vet to take a look see!! Prayers for healing! Post back with an update!

My 11 month old Westie girl had an ovarian sparing spay done at the end of January. The first few days were rough, we called the vet a few times and none of the things suggested worked. We ended up going to the ER where she was given better pain meds, anti-nausea meds and anti-inflammatory meds. As soon as we gave her these she started doing better and her diarrhea went away and she started eating again. She was on them for about a week.

Now, 3 weeks later (post surgery) she eats here and there, but she doesn't nearly have the appetite she used to have. She used to stand next to me in kitchen and couldn't wait for her bowl. Now she sits in another room and i have to call her to eat and ask her multiple times to eat her food. We took her back to the vet and she said she was fine and her appetite would return. I am still worried. Should I be at ease and not worry about it or is something wrong with her?

Answers

Best Answer

I may be inclined to get a second vet opinion. If the pup gets a clean bill of health, you may want to ask if a low salt broth on her hard food or if wet food could be used to entice her.

Some vet's recommend mixing human canned chicken (white meat) into the food for an extra draw.

Post back with an update! Prayers for solutions!

Best Answer

Your fur baby is slowly coming back. The good part is she is eating and drinking. This is hard on her and the adjustment is slow. Get advice on maybe a different food choice in case its that. Otherwise watch her close, and if you do not feel that her last visit helped, get a second opinion!

Best Answer

Try mixing hard food with a can of meat and gravy (soft dog food ) . Sometimes they just get tired of just the hard food .

I got my dog spayed four days ago. Now she won't eat dog food, but will eat a treat and she is drinking water. My question is, since the surgery she isn't acting normal, she lays around, goes outside and comes right back in.

She isn't eating her food and isn't active at all. What do you think is wrong?

Answers

This is not normal. I had my female dog spayed and it took a day or so for her to be active again. Your dog could be having complications after her surgery. I would call your vet and take her back in. She might have an infection that you don't know about or can detect on your own. For her safety and health, please take her back to your vet.

No, that's not normal. It is said that you should contact your vet if your pet does not eat for more than 24 hours after surgery... I would get in contact asap.

I had my female spayed and she layed around for seven days. Each dog is different it is a painful surgery.

My dog was spayed 6 days ago won't eat or drink much. Seems very depressed

Can you tell me what happened?
Did you return to the vet
Im having the same problem with my dog

Did she refuse food and water also?

Did she get better

My dog was spayed 6 days ago and has barely eaten or drank at all...she ate a bowl on the 2nd day but then threw up a little overnight and now has been eating on the same bowl ever since. She usually eats twice a day but this she's still on the 3rd bowl since the surgery. She seems like her energy is more than fine but she also seems depressed. Did your dog ever start eating? Was she ok?

My dog was spayed a day ago and she hasn't been eating her crumbs, just drinking water. Should I be worried or wait till further days?

My dog was spayed yesterday and will not eat and drink water. She will not take her medicine. What should I do? Should I take her collar off? Could the collar the Doctor gave her be the reason?

We had our 4 year old female Boxer who was spayed a week ago. She only eats some canned food, but not her hard food. She just lays around and sleeps. She does drink water and goes out take care of her business and comes in and sleeps. How can I get her eat her hard food and be more active?

Answers

Has she been back to the vet for her follow up? I would just in case something else is going on. I am guessing, however, that she is just the gal on the slow part of the bell curve of recovery. Some pups pick right back up on their full activities the next day and some take a little longer.

What I would check is that none of her teeth were damaged during the anesthesia (intubation) and make sure her throat was irritated during that part of the procedure...that is possible just like in people, and that may be why she only wants the soft food.

That she is drinking, pooping and peeing is great!! I would me more worried if she wasn't doing that. Double check with the vet and post back with an update! Prayers for the pup!! Thanks for being responsible and getting her spayed!! Blessings to all!!

I would call the vet. You want to make sure she has no infection. The not drinking concerns me more than the not eating.

I just got my Border Collie spayed, and she won't eat. I have tried softening her food, and mixing wet food into it, but she just won't eat. She was always a picky eater, but it's gotten worse. How should I get her to eat?

My dog got her surgery a week ago. She ate the second day of being home. She hasn't eaten in 4 days now. She threw up on the 3rd day of trying to eat. The left side of her throat feels bigger than the right side and where her surgery was, is a hard little ball, and her stomach feels hard. It is different by her rib cage area.

Answers

She may have an infection. Consult the vet asap

You need to get her back to the Vet right away. It sounds like an infection and you dont want to give it another day to get ahead of you.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 2, 2016
📓
🐛
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dog-Wont-Eat-After-Being-Spayed.html