Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed

Spaying is a major medical procedure. Your dog may not be very interested in food after the surgery. This is a guide about dog won't eat after being spayed.

My Shihtzu/Maltese has been spayed seven day ago. She was fine, got some pain medicine and cleaning solution but now she is not eating. She plays good and drinks water, should I worry?

Doris from SJ CA

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, you should be worried about your dog not eating post surgery. It is possible that there is an infection or some stitches that missed being removed, etc. Your best bet is to take your pet back to the vet for follow up treatment immediately

Best Answer

When my dog was ill the vet asked on the phone if she was eating and drinking. She said not drinking, bring her in right away. For food she said if they don't eat after 24 hours they should be seen.

Sounds like you need to take her in. She could have an infection in her incision.

Best Answer

I've worked at a vet's office for four years now, If the dogs is not eating then you need to call the vet. Also Moniter if she has vomited, drinking water, or has diarrhea. I could be something serious. On another note, you said something about meds? How are you giving the meds? Shihtzu/Maltese are know for being picky eaters and if she is getting meds in something better than her bland kibble, then there is a chance she is holding out for the better food. Try offering her some wet canned food. I recommend Hill's prescription diet A/D.

I got my dog spayed four days ago. Now she won't eat dog food, but will eat a treat and she is drinking water. My question is, since the surgery she isn't acting normal, she lays around, goes outside and comes right back in. She isn't eating her food and isn't active at all. What do you think is wrong?

Answers

This is not normal. I had my female dog spayed and it took a day or so for her to be active again. Your dog could be having complications after her surgery. I would call your vet and take her back in. She might have an infection that you don't know about or can detect on your own. For her safety and health, please take her back to your vet.

No, that's not normal. It is said that you should contact your vet if your pet does not eat for more than 24 hours after surgery... I would get in contact asap.

I had my female spayed and she layed around for seven days. Each dog is different it is a painful surgery.