Dog Won't Eat

Dog Won't EatWe have a one year old German Shepherd and she will either eat a lot of dry dog food then throw up or goes days eating very little. My vet said to feed her small portions and there has been no change. She throws up at least 1 a week. I have tried making food for her such as chicken, steak, etc.

Missy's ribs are also showing, but the research I have done says that this is normal for German Shepherd until they get older. I will take any suggestions and may need to try to find another vet.

Thanks

By tsnowman from Lynchburg, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Has your dog been checked for heartworms lately? Also, if it was me and my vet didn't help me I would get a new vet. I had to do that when one of my dogs had skin allergies so bad he was losing weight and hair. Now, I have a wonderful vet .She even does house calls.

Best Answer

1. Get a new vet. Yours is not helping.
2. In the meantime, try the tennis ball method suggested, or individual portions in a muffin tin.
3. As also suggested, feed a high quality, nutrition dense food. I would suggest a soy-free grain-free food in case allergies are your problem.

Good luck.

Answer this Question

51 More Questions

Our white Shih Tzu isn't eating. She's drinking a little, but we can't figure out why she's not eating and getting weaker. She's also grunting and coughing. Anyone know why she might be doing this?

Answer this Question

White dog on bed.Why won't my dog eat dog food? She is a miniature America Eskimo, good dog but she is not eating any of her wet or dry dog food. I did change both and nothing! She went all of yesterday and this morning without eating. We have stopped giving her treats and if we feed her any of our food it goes into her bowl and it is mixed in. But sure enough she finds just what we put in and neglects her own food. PLEASE HELP!

Lauren from New York

Answers

By Sherri (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi Lauren,
I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. When a dog stops eating, it is an emergency. Please take your fur baby to the Vet immediately. She could have a blockage? and it might be a sign of other things that are going on. If they want you to do blood work and/or an x-ray, please do it, it is one of the only ways they can find out what's wrong.

Good luck..

By Patti (Guest Post)
Best Answer

When my dog stops eating it's either because he's sick, stressed, or he's picking up on the stress from the family members. If it's none of those and he's still not eating I will mix in cooked (frozen) mixed veggies and white rice...sometimes, he won't touch his food unless I put pineapple or cantelope in his bowl. It seems as though there's something in the veggies, rice, and fruit that he seems to be getting as far as nutrients. Good luck.

Answer this Question

Dog lying on bed.We rescued this girl 6 months ago. She wouldn't eat the dog food the shelter had so I tried 6 others. She eats a bowl when she first gets it, but after that she'll go a week without eating. She's been checked by a vet. When she came home she had ring worm and hook worm, which is fixed. I don't know if there's something wrong. I tried mixing it with egg, gravy, so much stuff. She just won't eat. Please help! I love this dog sooooo much.

By Anna from MA

Answers

Best Answer

How old is the dog and have you had her teeth checked to make sure she doesn't have any broken or cracked teeth that make it hard to eat.

When ever I get a new rescue dog, for the first week, I actually hand feed it canned food and gradully add dry food. Some dog foods are better and though I prefer Lamb and Rice for my dogs, even mine snub it but know it's all they're going to get.

I had one rescue that I probably spent $150 before I found something she liked. She finally liked Kibbles and Bits but if you don't close the bag super tight, the food quickly dries out.

There were a couple of dogs who refused to eat any sort of dog food because they were use to eating out of trash cans and had to be taught to eat out of a bowl. With super fussy dogs I keep brown rice mixed with chicken in small containers in my freezer and even the fussiest of the rescues would eat it.

She looks like she may have some boxer in her and if her bite is off it may hurt her to eat and also check her teeth and make sure she doesn't have any dry kibble stuck between her them.

Answer this Question

I have a 12 yr. old German Shepherd mix male dog. I went to the vet and everything, he checked out fine. We took him in because he drinks a lot of water and all of a sudden he stopped eating his dog food.

We mix it with wet for 12 yr. and add water. We even switched food. He doesn't get much table scraps to live on and he gets one Greenie a day. He just won't eat. I've hand fed him.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next? Any help besides he'll eat when he's hungry? I'm use to him eating once a day. He use to eat twice. I know his metabolism is low. But what else can I do for him?

By Snug212 from Hag., MD

Answers

Best Answer

I would get a second opinion. I wish I had done that with my dog that passed on. One vet said he was fine and she died the next morning.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 180 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Hello, please go to another Vet. Asap. A dog that does not eat is an emergency.

Answer this Question

Today I rescued a small Yorkie; he was in the middle of a very busy road. He acts very skittish as if he's either been beaten or on his own for a long time. I've tried to feed him and give him water with no success! He's very bony and little and it worries me that there might be something else wrong. I always take a gamble bringing rescued animals into my house with other animals.

I have two cats and another dog inside and I am terrified that this little Yorkie has something! When I picked him up he was panting very hard. He did drink a tiny bit of water out of my hand, but other than that he hasn't eaten or drunk anything since 1 o'clock this afternoon. Please help me figure this out.

Yorkie

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 290 Feedbacks
Best Answer

He will begin to eat when he is gets real hungry and thirsty. If you can't find the owner and you plan on keeping him, take the dog to a vet.

Answer this Question

My Black Lab won't eat her food anymore. All she wants is her treats and she is starting to lose weight. What should I do?

black Lab

Answer this Question

I have a female indoor Pekingese. She is about4 years old. I noticed yesterday she was throwing up a bit. She ate fine yesterday, but I had to go to work and got back home and saw white foam spots, about 5. She is sleepy all day and drinks water fine, but is refusing to eat.

I even tried giving her fresh cooked ham and chicken, but she refused it too. What can I do to get her back to her normal running around and eating again with out the throwing up?

Answer this Question

I have a 6 month old Rott/Huskey mix. All she gets is dry food, never human or canned food. Occasionally she gets a raw diet. I have tried foods from Blue Buffalo down to Eukanuba and she eats it for three weeks, then she will just sniff at it then walk away. I do not want to give her foods with many by products or brands such as Iams, Puppy Chow, Old Roy, etc. It was hard for me to even get Eukanuba.

She's done this since we got her 3 months ago. When she's around other dogs she eats just fine. I don't know what to do and I want to stop wasting so much food. Please help!

By Sarah A

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 162 Posts
Best Answer

Wait it out. Most likely, she will eat if she's hungry, and may be getting confused by the frequent food changes. I personally have a picky dog and found that he just likes to nibble little bits through the day rather than gobbling up everything in sight like my prior dogs. He ends up getting plenty of food through grazing. The vet said that was fine. When other dogs are around, your dog probably eats because it knows the food will disappear if it doesn't, mine just lets the other dogs (or at my house sometimes it's the cats) eat his food, he knows I'll feed him later. I did notice that if I gave him a biscuit treat it would get the juices flowing and he would always go eat a little food so you could try that. If you're concerned about it though, you can try putting a little water or broth on the food to make a gravy to see if that's tempting, a little bit of soft food on top would do the same thing. That didn't help with Mason though. Ah well, the doctor says it's better for us to eat small meals throughout the day too, right?

Best Answer

I have had dogs for over 40 years; Great Danes and Aussies. Some times they will go off their food depending on the weather, and some times they are just not hungry. When it is hot they eat a lot less. Some dogs will stop eating because they have learn that you will change the food and get some thing different. Don't do it! You will end up with a picky eater. As long as the dog isn't losing weight and isn't sick it will go back to eating, just give it time and make sure you get a good dog food.

Also if you are giving a lot of treats stop. Why eat dog food when you can get treats. Most dog wont go to long with out eating. When I work as a dog groomer that was the biggest complain people had was their dogs wouldn't eat. I have never had a problem with any of my dogs not eating. I hope this helps.

Answer this Question

My dog won't eat. What can I do?

Jack from Brooklyn, New York

Answers

Bronze Request Medal for All Time! 59 Requests
Best Answer

Get him or her to the vet.

Answer this Question

My 1 year old Japanese Spitz puppy is not eating anything. He likes to eat human food like chapathi (flat bread) and Pedigree, but for the last month he is not eating anything. He just eats 2 dog biscuits per meal. He became very thin. We are vegetarian, so please help me. What should I feed him?

By Sophie

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 226 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Your dog cannot be a vegetarian. He must have meat. He will eat meat primarily. Can you find a good canned dog food for him? That would be best. Follow the directions on the can. The canned dogfood is prepared so dogs like to eat it. Follow the directions on the can on the amount you need to feed him.

Best Answer

You need to take him to the doctor right away. If he is skinny, he is malnourished. There are so many types of canned and dry dog food out there, give him some. You might try pouring a little beef or chicken broth over his food. I buy a container, put about 2 tablespoons over the dog food and then refrigerate the rest of the container. It lasts a couple of weeks. You may be vegetarian but your dog is not and he will die if he doesn't eat.

Answer this Question

My dog hasn't eaten for two days. She's really skinny with ribs showing. I tried feeding her dog food and human food, but she does not want to eat. She only drank a little water and I can't afford a vet. What should I do? She's a Chihuahua and already had kids, but is still less than a year old in human years.

By Beatrice

Answer this Question

long haired small dogI've had Kendi, my mini Poodle/Yorkie for almost two years now. She usually has plenty of energy and barks at everyone. She used to love to play and she would greet everyone. I just got home from staying at my brother's house for three days and she was staying at home with my parents and my other brother.

In the period I've been away she has been hiding in the yard, and stays hidden for hours even when she is called. She won't eat any food. She won't eat her dog food or her treats. She doesn't even like the rotisserie chicken, that you can get from the grocery store. When I came back home she still didn't want to eat. She barely has any energy. Please help! :(

By Kimmy A.

Answers

Best Answer

You need to get your girl to the vet as soon as possible. She may have a blockage, sometimes dogs swallow a rock. She may have a severe infection that is affecting her whole body. Dogs almost always hide illness or injury from their owners. If you are seeing these symptoms your dog is most likely very sick. Don't wait. Good luck to you.

Answer this Question
Load More

Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 22, 2013
📓
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dog-Wont-Eat-4.html