Miniature American Eskimo Not Eating

Why won't my dog eat dog food? She is a miniature America Eskimo, good dog but she is not eating any of her wet or dry dog food. I did change both and nothing! She went all of yesterday and this morning without eating. We have stopped giving her treats and if we feed her any of our food it goes into her bowl and it is mixed in. But sure enough she finds just what we put in and neglects her own food. PLEASE HELP!

Lauren from New York

Best Answer

Hi Lauren,
I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. When a dog stops eating, it is an emergency. Please take your fur baby to the Vet immediately. She could have a blockage? and it might be a sign of other things that are going on. If they want you to do blood work and/or an x-ray, please do it, it is one of the only ways they can find out what's wrong.

Good luck..

Best Answer

When my dog stops eating it's either because he's sick, stressed, or he's picking up on the stress from the family members. If it's none of those and he's still not eating I will mix in cooked (frozen) mixed veggies and white rice...sometimes, he won't touch his food unless I put pineapple or cantelope in his bowl. It seems as though there's something in the veggies, rice, and fruit that he seems to be getting as far as nutrients. Good luck.

That is a beautiful dog! She probably does not like dog food as much as people food. You are doing the right thing by mixing in your food. My sister buys chicken livers and gizzards and stews them with a little seasoning and mixes that into the dog food and her dogs love it. You can also buy other inexpensive meats and by-products and stew them, but NO pork. It is bad for dogs. Good luck.

Animals are like small children (or even grown adults at times)...we do not like all different things in food groups and neither do they. THEY do have taste buds too.

It must be the kind of food brand(or even the flavor) that you are trying to feed the baby that they do not like.

Our vet said for us not to be concerned until "they" have gone 3 days without eating something AND TO ALWAYS HAVE WATER IN THEIR BOWL at all times.

We have had very fussy animals in the past and like children they will eat when they are hungry...good luck!

Take her to the VET!

Take her to the vet.

I'd first try offering a slice of turkey bologna. Next, I'd try a small slice of pizza. The dog seems upset that it isn't getting what it wants, has you chasing your tail for it. If it's not sick, most vets will tell you to place a cup of two kinds of dry food, with a small amount of human canned turkey gravy sprinkled over it. Remember what the dog eats and just stick to that for a while, adding vitamin/mineral supplements for the dog's size. Make certain there is no pesticide, aerosols, chemicals of any kind where the dog could have gotten it or may be breathing it, including floor cleaners, perfumes, or any sort of sprays. With vitamins eaten, the appetite should return unless there are psychological reasons the dog won't eat, such as loneliness, missed mate/companions, etc. Give it plenty of sunshine and fresh air, about 1 hour each day at a regular time. Feed twice a day with plenty of fresh water in clean bowl. Don't scold or try to train, or talk loud until the appetite returns. This may be a very sensitive breed, or it may have eaten too much dry food which is heavy in salt making it's nerve endings over-sensitive to touch, sounds, and emotions. It may be smarter than you know and frustrated that it cannot make anyone understand it's needs. It may also need a companion or a child? Have you checked for heart worms? Have you removed a favorite toy?

Perhaps moved furniture around? Think it through and I'm sure you will figure it out eventually. Speak lovingly and softly to the dog, petting gently, not too concerned about the grooming, nail clipping, accidents, scolding of any kind for weeks, etc., until this eating is resolved and is lasting. It seems to be a stand off of some kind to me.

God bless and your pet. : )

Please get her to the vet ASAP.

I also have a Miniature American Eskimo. She has never wanted to eat very well. She will go for days with very little in her stomach, which really upsets me. I have tried a ton of different brands, wet and dry. I have taken her to the vet and spent hundreds of dollars at various times with no definitive answer. She has gotten boney. I really wish she had good eating habits. At this point, I try to feed her anything I think I can get down her, I even buy her $5 rotisiary chickens from Kroger. Sometimes she won't even eat that. Sometimes I think part of it is a mind game with her. Like she knows we won't her to eat so she doesn't do it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I am at my witts end worrying about my baby girl. PR