My Dachshund is Not Eating

When trips to the vet fail to determine why your pet has stopped eating it is time to take other measures. This is a guide about my Dachshund is not eating.

My dog hasn't eaten for 10 days today. She is a Dachshund and is 4 years old. We have taken her to two vets and they have done all the tests possible, xrays, you name it. Right now she is dying so if someone can please give us some advice. We have tried all dog and human foods even junk food such as Mcdonald's and KFC. Please help.

By Donovan from Middelburg, South Africa

Answers

Best Answer

I gave my cat baby food when she got home from the vet's and wouldn't eat. I would smear it on her nose and chin and and it would make her want to lick it off. We'd go through a half a jar at a time that way. Hope you figure something out that works.

Best Answer

Please take your dog to a different vet. It has to be sick and the vets you've taken her to thus far haven't found it.

Best Answer

My vet has always recommended strained chicken baby food mixed with cooked rice. I hope she soon eats something. Maybe just the chicken baby food.I guess at this point anything is worth a shot. Good luck to you and please let us know ow she's doing.

Best Answer

You will have to force feed the dog - easiest is to get a syringe take off the needle part suck up the liquid milk formula and from the side of the mouth gently keep releasing the milk by pushing the syringe. Also I give my dachshund lemon grass -the very tender shoots from the center of the plant - they don't eat the leaves on the outside - also yogurt -force fed is very good. Good luck with your little doggy - I do feel for you!

Best Answer

When my dog Maggie was very, very ill ( the vet had almost given up hope after giving her IVs) and wouldn't eat, I gave her Nutrical. it's a paste that comes in a tube like toothpaste and is very high in calories. It's given to hunting dogs. Maggie started eating a bit at a time off my fingertips and eventually got better. She went on to live another 5 yrs.

Kato and I will be thinking of you and your dear dog.
Grandma Jan & Kato

Best Answer

Try putting a lot of fish flavored cat food on your fingers and sticking it to the roof of her mouth. Do this every few hours. My son had a dog with Parvo and it got well after I did this.

Best Answer

You need to see a different vet. Go to a specialty hospital in your area. Force feeding could lead to him getting sicker! Good luck