My Boxer is Not Eating

Category Health
If your Boxer is not eating it could be a the sign of a serious issue that requires veterinary help. This is a guide about my Boxer is not eating.

I have a 3 year old Boxer. She has always been happy and very healthy. I went to work full-time in June at a nursing home. She has slowly been losing weight ever since.

The last couple of weeks has been a downward spiral. The vet has checked everything, and all her organs are functioning perfectly. Her coat and teeth are healthy. Ultrasound shows no cancer. She has no worms or parasites.

At first I thought it was separation anxiety. She has lost 12 pounds, and looks like a skeleton. She refuses all food. She is lethargic. She has no personality. She has lost all life in her. She no longer sits with me and she does not sleep with me any more.

For a split second I thought maybe she is sensing a sickness in me. But then I realized she could be smelling the sick residents on my clothes and thinking that I'm sick. I have cried and cried. The doctor assures me that she is fine. Should I put her on Prozac? She is completely wasting away. My heart is broken.

By Michele W.

Answers

Best Answer

This is NOT normal for a 3 year old Boxer! I raised AKC Boxers in the US for more than 40 years and the only time I've seen anything like this with any of my darlings was in cancer, or in extreme grief.

Does someone come in to walk her when you're at work? The carer could be feeding (which would explain the lack of loss of condition) OR the carer could be treating the dog with less love than the dog feels deserved - Boxers have a very strong sense of fair play and will let you know if they feel they're not being treated with the amount of respect they deserve!

Have there been other changes (children grown and moved out, divorce or break-up of a long relationship, death of another animal in the home)? Boxers will grieve terribly in these situations.

First thing to do is find a canine vet - yes, they do specialise - for a second opinion. I find it really hard to believe a dog (any breed) with these symptoms to be in the good condition your current vet is claiming - you write this has been going on for nearly six months and no dog could go that long with those symptoms without having some fairly serious condition problems.

If a second opinion is the same as the first, it's time for some changes! Can you afford doggie day care, can you find a trustworthy neighbour or relative to care for her while you're at work, have you considered a companion for your Boxer?

Please update, I can't bear thinking about this poor Boxer - clearly something is very wrong and I hope you find the reason and solution very soon!

A friend of mine gave me his Boxer in August of 2016. He went through a nasty divorce and his ex wife decided she didn't want the dog, but he couldn't keep the dog because he lives in military barracks. Before she came to me, she had been in two other homes. One that my friend had given her to originally and then someone the person who had her gave her to. She was in those homes for probably six months total time.

August 2016 my friend gets a call that his dog is at a pound an hour away and he goes to get her. We immediately noticed she was malnourished, you could see her ribs, and she was obviously beaten, she ran from me and acted scared when I grabbed a broom to sweep my patio. Flash forward to today, she is being extremely picky with her food. Last week she didn't want to eat at all for two days. Nothing has changed out of our routine or her food, no one has left or anything.

Last Saturday I sat my hand on her lower back and she spun around and growled at me, she has never growled at me before. She hasn't done it since either. That same day she almost attacked a two year old for no reason, the child hadn't even left the mom's arms. It took me smacking her hind quarters to get her to listen to me and I put her in her crate. She has never done that either, she has always been around kids and neither myself or the original owner have seen her act that way. I even called him to ask if by chance it had happened before and he told me no. This week she is acting fine, no weird attitude bursts. However, she has not been eating again for the last three days. If she does eat, she'll eat only part of her food and has started spilling some on the floor. It hasn't been hot, maybe high 70s at the highest. She doesn't act depressed, still loves to play and loves on my kids as usual. She is five about to be six, I believe. Is it possible for dogs to regress into behaviors from years ago? I am not sure if maybe she is having flashbacks to the houses before us for some reason or if it is possible?

Answers

Please call the vet ASAP. Sudden changes like this are almost always a health issue and the sooner the pup get looked at the better. If the pup gets a clean bill of health, ask the vet if she would benefit from work with a behaviorist.

Prayers for all!

You need to contact the vet. This is not normal behavior.

It isn't possible to read your post without being concerned. From what you have told us it seems likely that this dog has post traumatic stress disorder (ptsd). It sounds like she may have been abused by one of the caretakers. You need to talk to your Vet to eliminate any physical problems. Going 2 or 3 days without eating is serious. You also need to have a professional evaluate her behavior. Growling and being aggressive towards children is dangerous and puts her and others at risk. You need to factor this in when you decide what social situations she should be exposed to. You need to make her and others safe while you evaluate what can be done for her. There are drugs these days that can help animals with behavioral issues. But you will need a Vet, most likely a trainer, and most of all a plan that allows everyone to stay safe. Good luck to you.

My 4 month old Boxer puppy Sofia hasn't eaten in almost 3 days and she isn't hyper or playful like normal either. I'm scared, what do I do?

By Samantha K. from Sheridan, IN

Answers

Get you dog to the vet immediately. Pups that age can get Parvo virus which is very serious.

They need vet care and supportive care at home to survive.