Caring for My Dog After It Has Been Spayed

Category Health
Follow the veterinarian's instructions to care for your dog after she has been spayed. This is a page about caring for my dog after it has been spayed.

I just had my dog spaded. She does not want to drink water. What am I doing wrong?

By jim from Fairview Heights

Answers

Best Answer

She might be nauseated from the anesthesia. If she doesn't get better by tomorrow call the vet, as they have post surgery care included in the spay fee. Good luck.

My 6 month old Beagle got spayed last week and she's recovering nicely, the incision looks good, etc. We're having a family beach day this weekend which will be 10 days from the day she had surgery. I'm wondering if I should or should not take her with us. She loves the beach, but I don't want to risk her healing. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

Check with your vet. Most dogs heal very quickly, but vets restrict running and jumping for 30 days post op.

The beach may be too much activity. Post back what you learn. Safe travels!

My Pug won't eat dog food after being spayed, but will eat everything else like human food. I'm worried if something is wrong, but my vet said if she's eating the stuff I make her she should be OK. Is this something that's ever happened to anyone?

Answers

Prayers for your little pug!! They are so sweet!!

I would take the vet's guidance and as long as she is eating something (drinking, pooping, and peeing) she should be fine.

After our boy had surgery a few years ago, I think the anesthetic affected his sense of smell because would only eat canned white meat of chicken for several weeks post surgery. They sent him home on that. Every day we were told to mix a few, and then a few more, and eventually after 2 weeks or so, it became all kibble and no chicken.

Post back with an update!! Prayers and blessings!

Thank you I will just a little while ago I saw her munching on her dog food so hopefully she starts to pick it up again thanks!

She may be tired after surgery and not in the mood to eat hard food. Give her time.

Woo hoo!! That is a positive!! Prayers will continue!! Just like people, surgery and anesthesia are stressful for pups! They all heal on their own time lines. Hope things get back to normal ASAP!!

You should transition her into her regular dog routine. If she does not adjust, I'd contact the vet again. But for now time being as long as she's eating that's a good sign.

Why is my dog licking me all the time after she has been spayed?

Answers

Dogs lick for many reasons... anxiety relief and as a nurturing instinct are the two biggest. We also taste salty to them and they like that. Double check with the vet to make sure the pupster is healthy and healed. Ask for his/her guidance on next steps if you think it is anxiety. If it is just a habit, you can train the pup to stop by redirecting.

A simple command like off should be used. Post back with an update.

PS, our Clarence is a licker. Arms and ankles. His is anxiety and the need to nurture. Since he is very sensitive to meds, we let him. We always say he thinks he is doing something good. We have to be careful though because guests don't understand his habits.

Dogs lick because it gives them comfort. Talk to your vet. Excessive licking can be stopped.

She is probably licking you for salt.

My dog that is 1 and a half year old had her spay surgery on July 9th. Is it too soon to play fetch with her? She is a Husky and has tons of energy and isn't in pain and the incision is completely closed.

The check up with the vet went very well and I was told she looks better than she should for day 10.

Answers

I would call the vet back to check. Incisions close in the outside could still be healing on the inside. The vet will give you the best and safest answer.

Prayers for a full and quick heal for your fur child! Thanks for taking care of her and getting her spayed!! Give her a hug!

I would phone the Vet on this one. I am sure walks would be fine and burn off a little energy. But I would check with the Vet before playing fetch.

A female spay is more complicated than a male neuter surgery.. No, it is not okay for a recent surgery such as a spay to allow the dog to run, jump or even climb stair steps, hop and jump up/down from furniture...it must remain calm and have quiet playtime. I slept on the floor with my dogs when they were spayed just to be sure they did not do something early of a morning when they first woke up that could cause a problem for them.

I also put a leash on my dog indoors during the daytime and kept it close to me so I could watch it closely. Our girls came through just fine.

You could place the dog in a crate or doggie playpen while it's recuperating as long as it doesn't get too over active and you can take it on very short walks to go potty outside. Let the dog enjoy the smells of the outdoors and get some fresh air w/o running.

My little pug a poo, Molly, is going to be spayed in a month. She's 6 lbs. Any advice for a quick recovery and for dealing with her incision? I'll take her to the People for Animals here and she comes home the same day. What about pain? Any advice would would be appreciated.

Valery from NJ

Answers:

Becki, call the vet and he will tell you what you can give her. Feed her lightly and give lots of love and tender care. They bounce back quickly so if you don't see improvement in a day call the vet. You can usually give aspirin, but the vet needs to tell you how much according to the dog's weight. Val (02/15/2007)

By valery

Use Q-tips with peroxide on them to keep the incision clean after she has gone outside to do her business. As pollen can not be seen, but is everywhere this time of year and could get into her incision. Even particles of dust and dirt can enter "it" while she is doing her business.

But animals are very good about licking themselves and that will help to clean and heal the wound too. So do not scold her for continuing to lick it over and over again. (04/18/2006)

By Paula Jo C.

My dog never had a collar put on her and she did lick a lot. It seemed to hurt my male dog much more than my female dog. Some places send home pain relievers for the pets. I hope your little love comes through it well. If you are at all unsure, please ask a lot of questions of the pet care provider. It is their job to provide the answers you seek. (04/19/2006)

By Sara C

Keep her calm and quiet. Only apply to the incision what your vet tells you to. Maybe get her a toy that you are sure she will be quiet with. (04/19/2006)

By Sandy

Pets Dogs HealthApril 30, 2018
🎃
🌻
🎂