Dog Became Aggressive After Having Puppies

It can be unsettling to see your dog become aggressive towards people, other dogs, or even her new puppies. This is a guide about dog became aggressive after having puppies.

My pitbull terrier has 4 week old pups. She growls at them if they want to nurse and she has shown her teeth to one of them. She has attacked another dog in my home after having the pups. She just is not herself anymore. I am thinking that her aggression will soon cause more damage, I am thinking of having her put down and raising the pups. Is this normal from the mother?

Jae from Germantown, MD

Answers

Best Answer

This is not as uncommon as you would think. How old is the mother? If this is her first litter and she's young, the stress of dealing with the puppies may be too much. My German Shpeherd did the same thing when I bred her at 2 1/2 years. I hand-raised the puppies and within a few days she was her normal happy-go-lucky self. Also, be aware that mother dogs teach their puppies to be "easy" as they get older. The new puppy teeth are VERY painful I'm sure! Ask your vet if you are unsure about the behaviour, but don't put her down without exploring ALL the possibilities! She may just not be cut out to be a mother.

Best Answer

This happened to my Pom after she gave birth and at about the 6 week mark. I was told by my vet that it was the dogs way of weaning the pups and that I should be introducing them to puppy food...I would check with your vet for sure, your dog may be hormonally deficient, she may even have some sort of infection in her nipples....it would certainly be worth the vet visit.

Good Luck.

My Pittie had puppies 8 weeks ago. She has never snapped at my kids or me for that matter. But she snapped at one of the pups two weeks ago over a toy. No harm done, corrective behavior. But today I went to feed the last two pups and her, the pups were excited and went over to her as she was eating, and she attacked one. Not just corrective, the puppy was bleeding and shaking badly. I don't want to resort to letting her go (putting her down), but I'm scared out of my mind.

Please help, and no bashing please.

Answers

Aww...poor pup and mom. I would talk to your vet ASAP. Today if possble and separate mom and the babies (NOW) and hand feed them until you can get an answer from the vet. You should be able to buy mom's milk for pups at a high end pet store or the vet.

Sometimes mom knows something is wrong with the pup and tries to euthanize it (prayers that is not the case), sometimes the mom gets (like people, post partum depression). The vet can give you the best input.

Prayers for all. Post back what the vet says.

You need to talk to the vet. She may have a hormone inbalance that is causing her to behave this way.

Yes you should