AdviceDogs

Feeding a Five Week Old Puppy

Can I give a 5 week old Rottweiler goat's milk as a drink from a dish and bring in meat, in instead of bottle feeding?

By Jonny

I don't know about the meat. I think it would be too harsh on the tummy.

When I have had young pups that the mother won't feed, we just warm a little milk, and let it soak into puppy chow food, then let the pup eat.

They will usually eat anything with milk on it as long as it is soft enough for them, until they get used to eating versus suckling. I would hold off on the meat for now. Good luck to you and your pup.

A few years ago I had a rott that got mastitis, a deadly milk infection that killed half her litter. I was down to five, 5 days old pups so I rushed her to the vet to see the problem. The vet stuck his finger into one of the pups mouth and said "Well, they are hungry!"

So, I took them home and put them on milk puppy milk replacer for about 2 weeks. They accepted the bottle right away as if they knew what happen! then after that I put them on goats milk and egg mixed together for about another week then weened them on puppy chow. I made it into a groul or anotherwords mushy. I don't know how I did it working a job and raising pups but I did and sold them for 250.00 each when they were 8 weeks old! Good luck with yours.