How Often Can a Cat be in Heat?

Category Cats
While dogs usually only go into heat twice a year, cats can go into heat more frequently. This is a guide about "how often can a cat be in heat?".

My cat is in constant heat. She's been in heat for over a month and doesn't come out. I don't know if it's a condition or it's normal. My other female cat is not in heat and has not been heat for at least two weeks. Also I had to keep the cat, in heat, in the bath room because she kept peeing on my bed. Just my bed she doesn't pee on anything else. I don't know what's wrong with her. Can anybody tell me what I should do?

By William

Answers

This is not normal. Take her to the vet. I would recommend having her spayed.

See a vet as soon as possible. There are several conditions in unspayed cats that masquerade as long heat cycles. One of them is fatal. See your Vet right away and consider neutering your cats.

I had the same problem with my Siamese cat. A Siamese in heat sounds like no other meow you'll here. I brought her my vet. It is not rare for a female cat to come into heat like this and to drive their owners crazy....bad hormones. Sorry to say, but the only way to correct it is to have her spayed. If you can catch her not in heat, the spay will be cheaper.

My cats first heat over ten days still in heat her meow and calls drive me nuts

My cat was spayed, she still continues to have heat symptoms, the cat calling sounds, the rubbing on the ground. Now the vet is trying shots says it will put her in a state like she is pregnant but so far 2 shots and nothing, I don't know what to do its $20 shot and she continues to be in heat I wish I knew someone that could figure out why a spayed cat would continue on like this, the vet says they never seen a cat act this way

I have a Persian cat 10 months old but she is not coming on heat. Why???

My cat is in heat n she don't pee on everything she goes to her litter box n she let me rub n she sleep next to me but about make that loud noise she goes a another room what does that mean

I have 5 cats: 3 girls and 2 boys. One of my female cats is ALWAYS in heat and I wondered if that was normal? She will go out of heat for about a week and then right back in for a few weeks and the cycle just repeats. I think she is going into heat more frequently than she should, but wondered if anyone else had this problem? She is 2 years old and a mixed tabby cat. The other girls seem fine with their cycle, it is just her. And to top it off when she goes into heat she sprays... do you think if she gets spayed it would help? Any info would be wonderful, she is very vocal when she is in heat and she is driving me crazy.

Thank you!
Katie from PA

Answers

Yes, getting her spayed will end her heat cycles. Cats go into season more frequently during the months with longer daylight hours to reproduce more litters during this time of the year. A cat that has very little time between heat cycles could also mean a more serious health problems such as uterine cancer. Spay and neuter all your pets to end the cycle of homeless pets please!!

Have all the kitty cats spayed or neutered. We don't need more kitties-2 many are euthanized every day already!

Why are you letting your cat go into heat? Is there some reason? Does she go outside and have the opportunity to mate and do you want her to? You didn't give many details like are you a breeder. If you are not and your cat stays inside, it really is sort of cruel to let her go in heat and not be able to do anything about it!!!! She is crying because she wants a boy kitty! We had a cat once that we didn't get spayed when we should and I mean she'd just cry....all night it seemed and also she sprayed. We took her to be spayed as soon as we realized what was happening and that we needed to do it. We had no desire to have kittens and she was an inside cat.

No, I am not a breeder and all of my cats are indoors at all times! They are afraid of the outside.

I also believe that animals should be fixed to prevent unwanted babies, I actually rescued 2 of mine from the wild because there are so many feral cats running around up there it is sickening!

I was just curious if spaying would resolve the problem, and thank you very much for the responses...but I wouldn't say I am cruel because of it...But thank you again for responding!

Thank you!

Get you females BOTH spayed a s a p ! will make them more loveable, and cut down on " female " type cancer , also get the male neutered too will keep them from spraying all over the house !

Hi! I also highly recommend getting your girl spayed. Within the past two months we discovered yet another "discarded" female kitty hiding on our back porch. After getting her checked out at the vet's where she was okay'ed to join our household we then proceeded to wait out the two weeks until her spaying operation. Of course, she came into season during that time and did spray a couple of times on our one door frame, which I found out is a common occurance for an queen in heat, however that stopped immediately after she returned home from her operation. She is now one of the nicest and sweetest cats I have ever known! So please do have your kitty spayed as soon as possible, including any other cats that have not yet been done. The rewards of a peaceful pet household with less stress all around for both humans and pets will be well worth the cost, believe me. Best of luck to you!

Katie, I must commend you on your courteous response to someone who was so rude and critical of your post. Some posters on this site apparently feel entitled to attack and criticize those they disagree with. I can understand someone who might say "I choose to handle that situation this way".......but when someone is demanding "Why did you do it that way" or implies that you are cruel........well, I personally think they are out of line. I throughly enjoy reading Thrifty Fun daily and I'm a little disheartened when folks forget their manners. And as Forrest Gump would say "that's all I'm gonna say about that"!

Hello, this is Debbie 52....I do apologize to Katie for my post. After I read what Grandma Margie wrote I realize that it was not too nice of me; however I was just giving an honest opinion but did come across as awful judgemental and preachy. I really am not that kind of person and if you were to read my many other posts, I think you'd see that I'm actually a very nice person! It has made me feel very bad to have come back to this thread and seen what someone said about me. Also, I don't think I was forgetting my manners but just really taking the side of that poor cat in heat!

If she gets spayed, she shouldn't go into heat at all. I haven't had my cat spayed yet and I've had her for a year. I just figure why spend the money if she isn't going outside. Mine doesn't spray however and she only goes into heat once every few months. She is extremely annoying when it happens though. I think I may get her spayed.

I was researching cats in heat and the symptoms and one of them was that cats will spray when in heat. They will also make sounds that sound like human words and if you repeat them after them they will keep you talking all night. Is the time between heats different in certain cats? I also gave mine "catnip". Put it on her scratching pad and a tiny bit in her food and she calmed down a lot. Worth a try.

This the first time that I have ever had a cat. Is it normal for cats to be in heat constantly in summer; because she been having it a lot this month.

My non spayed cat acts like it's in heat all the time. It constantly chatters, makes moaning sounds, and loud yells. It walks prowling with her ass in air. lol It's driving us crazy; it's not in heat.

By Darrel

Answers

She is definately in heat. We had a calico cat that did this and when we took her to the vet he stated there are some female cats who will continually be in heat until they are bred. We let her have a litter of kittens then she cycled as other cats.

Cats do go in heat all the time if they are not spayed. Really, like every 7 days all. year. round. Do yourself a favor, and have her spayed. Your nerves will thank you. I've been there, and I totally get how maddening it is.

How often can a cat be in season? I took my cat in as a stray not knowing at the time that she was pregnant. 5 weeks later she had 7 beautiful kittens. The kittens are now almost 11 weeks old and I have kept mum in for the whole of this time just waiting for the kittens to wean so I can get her spayed. She is going stir crazy being cooped up indoors. Anyhow, I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago to be spayed, but she was in heat so they booked me another appointment for tomorrow. However, I think she is on heat again as she is sticking her rear end in the air and is affectionate one moment and very spiteful the next. I feel so sorry for her because if she is in season again, the vet will not spay her tomorrow.

My question is this. Is it normal for a female cat to have one season after another? and is it in fact possible to spay her while she is like this? The vet explained to me they won't do it as the womb is too soft to do the operation. Poor girl is going nuts and I just want what's best for her. Thank you for any help you can give me.

By Michele

Answers

Cats go into heat every few days if they are not spayed. So frustrating! They can be spayed during a heat cycle, it is just more dangerous as the blood volume is higher during this time. If your vet won't do it, I'd find one who will. Explain the situation, and tell the vet you really need her spayed for your peace of mind. Most likely he will do the surgery. Good luck.