What Breed Is My Dog? (Pit Bull Mix)

Category Pit Bull
Mixed breed dogs can be wonderful companions. It can be interesting to see the different breeds reflected in their features. This is a guide about what breed is my dog? (pit bull mix).

A female puppy wandered up into our yard yesterday. She has decided to stay, which is fine by me but I would like to know how old she might be and what breed she is. We have an idea on the breed but we want some other opinions to feel sure. Thanks for your help.

Courtney from Clover, SC

Answers

By Sara Olin (Guest Post)

I'm really sure the puppy looks like a pit bull. Beautiful puppy someone should upset it is gone!

What breed do you think my dog is? When we got her we were told that she is a lab mix, so we know she's part lab, but what do you think the other part is?

It might be hard to tell from the photo, but she is very stocky and muscular, with short legs.

Answers

By tillyte11 (Guest Post)

My sister breeds pit bulls. She looks pit to me.

By Meg (Guest Post)

Looks like just a regular lab to me.

I agree...looks like she has some Pitt in her to me too.I just learned recently that you can have a DNA test done on your animal at the vets office and it will tell you exactly what it is.A friend of mine paid about 60 bucks for the test. Hers was lab/pitt by the way.Hope it helps.

She looks black lab and pit bull.

By ANDREA (Guest Post)

She looks like a lab/pit mix. She's a cutie!

By tina (Guest Post)

Does the dog have short stiff hair? It kind of looks like a Skipperkey.

My grandson has one for a hearing work dog. His has the same looking face.

By Linda. (Guest Post)

She looks exactly like my dog, Sable! And she is half pit and half lab.

Looks like part pit. How about giving us a side view snapshot?

Also - those tests you can do at a laboratory to determine the doggie heritage - I heard they only go as far back as the grandparents.

By MJane (Guest Post)

Boy, it is hard to get her to stand still :) Here is the best side view photo I could get. She weighs 38 lbs and is almost 2 years old. When her ears flop forward, she looks more lab than anything. But they go back or perk up when she's happy, then she looks more pit or terrier.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, this is very interesting. I never knew you could get a DNA test for a dog! We love her all the same no matter what breed she is, she is a sweet heart. I'm just curious, that's all.

By Angie Pitts (Guest Post)

Hi
I worked for twenty years as a Veterinarian nurse, as we used to be called, and in many settings including running a shelter. This is a tough question, lab is a dominant gene, so breeds mixed with lab can be very subtle. Labs also seem to really get around. I have seen lab/basset, American Bull Terrier, and some kind of wiry long haired terrier mixed with lab. And the Boxador, like my boy Duke. His mom was a pure boxer, but boy is he golden lab. The idiots who bred him docked his tail till it looks like an old english. The only hint of boxer is a slight stockiness, shorter muzzle, very subtle hints.

She could be American Bull, and that would be my guess. But it really could be any dog that has a shorter, stocky very muscular build. And individual dogs have very widely different characteristics even if pure.
Since there can be up to three dads in a litter with multiple breedings, you can't even tell by siblings. The little long haired terrier mix was Dukes sister, and she looked nothing like him. Then there were obvious boxers also. Its really interesting to me. She looks adorable, enjoy her.

Angie

By Angie Pitts (Guest Post)

Hi again, forgot something. She could also be half Staffordshire Bull Terrier, she is small enough. Take care.
Angie

Can anyone tell me what my pup might be mixed with? I have Pit Bull puppy I just got, a person told me it was a blue nose Pit Bull, but I know that isn't a breed so I'm assuming my pup is a Pit mix.

Any opinions on what she might be crossed with?

By J.F