Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos

Category Cairn Terrier
Originating in the Highlands of Scotland and the Isle of Skye, this hardy breed was originally a working dog used to aid farmers in getting rid of pests such as foxes and badgers. This is a guide about Cairn Terrier breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Cairn Terrier dog breed has a compact and strong body with a water-resistant coat and a fox-like expression. Hardy, active and game, it is an effective watch dog. The Cairn Terrier is also very affectionate and makes a good family dog.

Group: Terrier group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting badgers and rats

Country of Origin: Scotland.

Average Size: Dogs range from 10 -13 inches and 14-18 pounds. Bitches range from 9-12 inches and 13-17 pounds.

Color(s): All colors except white

Coat Type: Cairn Terriers have a weather-resistant double coat consisting of a harsh outer coat and a soft undercoat. Regular weekly brushing is required.

Grooming: This breed's coat is relatively easy to maintain. Coats should be groomed 1-2 hours per week to keep them in good form.. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, and pads. Clip nails regularly to keep them from becoming ingrown.

Exercise Needs: Cairn Terriers adapt well to apartment living so long as they receive adequate amounts of exercise and attention.

Temperament: The Cairn Terrier is a self-assured, intelligent and quick to learn. This is an alert dog breed that makes a good watchdog. Affectionate and loving, the Cairn Terrier is a wonderful and patient companion to children. This breed has an independent nature and early obedience is recommended to establish who is in charge. Consistent leadership coupled with positive reinforcement work best. Cairns will bark and misbehave if not given the proper attention and training.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to allergies, obesity, dislocating kneecaps and hereditary eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-15 years.

Trivia: "Toto," the Cairn Terrier featured in the classic movie, "The Wizard From Oz," was not a male, but a female named "Terry."

More Information: Cairn Terrier Club of America

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Winston is a 2 year old Cairn Terrier. I got my pet at a local flea market,when he was 4 months old. He likes to chase bumblebees, play with his ball,and play with our other 3 dogs a Yorkie and 2 German Shepherds.

It may sound unbelievable but he watches TV, he has several commercials he dislikes and they are the little orange fuzzy monster they use for the weight watchers commercial he goes ballistic over, him and the spaceship on a dental commercial.

He loves to be outdoors mainly when I am doing my gardening he loves to help dig other than that Winston is a pretty good dog to have wouldn't take nothing for him.

By Sharon from NC

Winston (Cairn Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 11

Your Pet's Age
11

Your Pet's Breed
Cairn terrier

How and when did you get your pet?
Annie was adopted when she was a puppy from
a friend who breeds Cairns.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Play with her friend, Moose.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Annie likes to go outside when it is cold and run around, She doesn't like hot weather. She is very sweet, but she snores pretty loud when she sleeps!

Comment Like this photo? 7

Toto is a 3 year old Cairn Terrier. I got Toto in March 2009 from my grandma. Someone gave him to her, but she couldn't keep him. I saw him and just had to have him! Toto likes to play with his toys, run around the yard, visit people who have other dogs for him to play with, and get chased by people. Toto also likes to do tricks, he can shake, stand, sit, lay, speak, and high five! Toto is very smart. Sometimes I think that he thinks he is a person!

By Tiffany

Toto (Cairn Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 4

Photo Description
I am babysitting this little beauty for a friend and her family. Alexis is a sweet, smart little girl who we are happy to have in our home. She gets along with all the animals except for the ferret, Tinker.

Alexis deserves to have a spot on Thriftyfun for being one of the the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

Photo Location
My bedroom in our home in Hampton, Tennessee which is the same as my office, where lots of fun things happen and I have a camera to catch them all. ;)

Comment Like this photo? 2

Maggie is a Cairn terrier and is 8. We got her as a puppy from a breeder. Pancho is a 1 year old tiger cat from the humane society, two weeks ago.

She likes to catch a ball in her mouth and the cat likes to play with his food. They are getting along great and we are grateful for that.

By Darlene from Columbus, OH

Maggie (Cairn Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? Yes