Yorkshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos

Breed Description: The diminutive and glamorous Yorkshire Terrier is a very compact dog with a long, silky coat and an lively and ostentatious personality. Originally developed by the working class to control rats in mines and cotton mills, today the Yorkshire Terrier enjoys popularity as a beloved companion and show dog.

Group: Toy Group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting rats

Country of Origin: Great Britain

Average Size: Around 9 inches and up to 7 pounds.

Color(s): Steel blue and tan

Coat Type: The coat is shiny, soft, long and nearly perfectly straight.

Grooming: The Yorkshire Terrier's coat requires daily brushing and bathing once per month. The long hair over the eyes can be pinned up or clipped to avoid irritating the eyes. Dogs intended for show need special grooming. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails. Teeth should be examined and cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Yorkshire Terriers need only a moderate amount of exercise and make excellent apartment dogs.

Temperament: The Yorkshire Terrier is an active, intelligent little dog that is affectionate toward its owners and game for every family activity. Blessed with a dynamic personality, this breed sees itself as a "big dog in a little body." Yorkies are suitable dogs for the elderly and for homes with older children, as they dislike rough play. Loving and faithful, the dainty Yorkshire Terrier makes an ideal travel companion and playful family pet.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to eye irritations, tracheal collapse, premature dental disease and patellar luxation

Life Expectancy: The expected life span of the Yorkshire Terrier is 14-16 years.

Trivia: Newborn Yorkshire Terrier puppies are black when born.

More Information: Yorkshire Terrier Club of America, Inc.

Read More or Comment...

I have one of these dogs, and it is the best little dog I have ever had. She is like the little girl I never had. ( I had boys). She is friendly and outgoing but at the same time, she knows who her momma is.

These cute little lap dogs were originally bred as vermin dogs to catch rats and mice in English textile mills. This is a guide about facts about Yorkshire Terriers.

A Yorkshire terrier laying on a green chair.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have a Yorkshire Terrier puppy, you will need to get it house broken as soon as possible. This is a guide about house training a Yorkshire Terrier.

Yorkshire Terrier Puppy

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains Yorkshire terrier mix photos. Many pet owners have small dogs that are a mix of Yorkshire terrier and the similarly sized dogs. The appearance of these pups varies a lot.

Yorkshire Terrier Chihuahua Mix

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
1 yr

Your Pet's Breed
Yorkie

How and when did you get your pet?
My daughters gave him to me as a birthday gift.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He likes to play a lot; he is a very active dog. He has a lot of toys and he plays with all. He likes to take your shoes just for fun.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He likes to model and he loves when you buy new clothes for him.

Comment Like this photo? 13

Carley is 4 years old and a Tea Cup Yorkie. My friend gave her to me just before Christmas, 4 years ago

Carley likes you to throw her toys, and ride. She tells you when to go to bed and loves ice cream. If you're sick, she's right there with you. She's my little nurse, sometimes.

By Judy from N.C.

A yorkie sitting on a window seat.

Comment Like this photo? 13

This little guy is Roscoe. He is almost 1 year old. Mr. Roscoe is a Yorkie. Santa Claus thought he needed a good home, so he was under the tree on Christmas morning. He loves to play fetch. Roscoe loves to play with and chase our German Shepard. They are best buddies. They love living on a farm, always something to chase!

by Tina from Loretto, TN

A yorkie sitting in yellow flowers.

Comment Like this photo? 13

Tessa was 13 years old and a Yorkie. I got my Tessa when my other Yorkie had a litter 13 years ago. She would like to go for walks and play with her toys.

My Tessa was put down on Friday, December 2nd. She was very sick with cancer. She was a very spoiled girl. Now she is in no more pain, she is in God's hands. I miss her so dearly. We all love my Tessa, Mommie's Little Angel

By Sheila from Wisconsin

Tessa (Yorkshire Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 10

Howard is an 8 month old toy Yorkie. I received an antique bird cage for Valentines Day so my husband took me to a pet expo. Instead of a bird, we found Howard!

He loves to play with his two brothers, Poo Bear and Houston (cat), then he sleeps! Howard sleeps in the bird cage. He is so small his crate is that bird cage. How odd is that? He is our baby boy!

By Daina from Houston, TX

Comment Like this photo? 10

Baby Woody is 3 year old Yorkshire Terrier. He was a dog sold to the pet company store and came down with a collapsed trachea. They couldn't sell him since he was sick and nobody wanted him since he had issues. So we took him in and made him part of our family when he was 1 year old.

He loves to play with his Brother and sister (a German Shepard/Lab/Pit Bull Mix and a Toxirn). He loves to snuggle and loves to be brushed and catered to.

He could be a bully at times, but he is so cute, it makes up for it.

By Donna from Lindenhurst, NY

Baby Woody (Yorkshire Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 12

Lady Lacy Lovebug is a 5 year old Yorkie. I got her one year ago, rescued from a puppy mill. She likes to have her tummy rubbed. When we first got her, Lacy was very shy. It took a long time to get her to come out from under the furniture.

A yorkie sitting inside.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

Ricco is our 11 year old Yorkshire Terrier (teacup). My husband purchased him for me as a present. He plays tug of war with his toys! In this current photo Ricco is in desperate need of his bath.

Ricco (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 14

Sir Bentley Charles is 1 and 9 months old. He is a Yorkie. A family had bought him and decided they no longer could take care of the Yorkie, so, I brought him into my home and may I say he is a gift from God.

Comment Like this photo? 9

Jasper is a 2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. We rescued Jasper from a shelter after the police raided a puppy mill operation. Adopt. Don't Shop!

Jasper (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

We got her right after her 2nd birthday. Her owner, Debra, was a breeder with over 20 dogs. She also worked with my husband. Debra found out she had brain cancer when Tinkerbell was one yr. old. Tinkerbell had become her own personal pet. She was so scared of everyone that Debra never could sell her.

Tinkerbell (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

Hershey was my 15 year old Yorkie. Hershey was a puppy from a previous litter I raised. Hershey liked to dress up and posed well for pics. At Halloween, in the past, she posed as The Great Artist! May she and all who went before and will follow rest in the loving arms of God!

Closeup black and white photo of Hershey.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

Noel is a 2 year old yorkie. I got him two years ago before Christmas, and this is why I named him Noel. We go for car rides, and he rides with me on my Harley. He wears his clothes and riding goggles. I can't even call him D.O.G.

A yorkie wearing a Harley Davidson hat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 17

She and her two brothers were the last puppies born at Northwoods Yorkies in Maine. I was in line to get the next little girl and that was Abby.

Abby wearing a skirt

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

We pulled up to this beautiful farm and the owner started putting near a dozen different breeds of small puppies in this octagon shaped fenced in area. I had my heart set on a small white pile of fluffy fur, but my kids got to them first.

Marshall (Shih Tzu - Yorkshire Terrier) on the porch of a dollhouse.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Sammi was 13 in this pic. She's a Yorkie I got in Maryland from a breeder in '98. Sammi is no longer with us, she passed a couple of months ago. She was a very sweet little girl and she used to love to lay in the sun and run in the grass. A great soul who will be missed.

A dog lying on a red blanket.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

Sophie loves walks, playing with her toys, and dressing up for the Green Bay Packers football games. Sophie is so spoiled and lovable.

Sophie Francis King (Yorkie)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

Baby Girl is a 1 and a half year old Yorkie. I was searching the internet for a Teacup Yorkie one day, and I saw her picture and knew I had to have her. The very next day, I bought her.

Baby the Yorkie by Pink Stuffed Animal

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Penny-Candy is a 6 year old Yorkshire Terrier. We adopted Penny 2 years ago from a Rescue Source in St. Louis, Missouri. She was very skinny, no hair, and was used for breeding purposes only.

Penny-Candy (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

Willie is a 5 year old Yorkie. I got Willie about one year ago and he was a rescue. Plays with his brothers.

Willie the Yorkie by a Teddy Bear

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

PeeWee likes to run, jump, try to catch birds, squirrels, mice, rats or cats, or anything else that moves. He also loves to hang out of the car window. He is like a two year old with wings, but also a real trooper, a very fun pal.

A dog with goggles on.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Sophie is my baby Yorkie girl. She is 5 weeks old. I got her from a breeder. I'm so happy I got my baby. She will be such a spoiled girl.

Sophie (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Bella (AKA Baby) is a 4 year old Yorkie. My daughter was moving this past summer and she couldn't have a dog in her new place. I became the new momma to Bella. My daughter worked, so Bella was often alone.

Bella the Yorkie Dog

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Louie is a 5 year old Yorkie rescue that we adopted a year ago. He has become my most loyal companion and is a wonderful addition to our family! Louie not only loves to play hide and seek; he also likes to corral our cat for us!

Photo of Louie Yorkie Dog

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Sasha is 3 years old and a Yorkshire Terrier. I adopted Sasha in November 2008 from The Miami Animal Shelter with the help of Jennifer from United Yorkie Rescue.

Comment Like this photo? 11

I adopted Pierre from the Washington, DC Humane Society. He loves to run and nap. Pierre is a kind soul that brings so much joy to my home.

Pierre

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

This is our Coco. We got her in December 2010. She is 18 months old. We recently moved to Richmond, VA and our family and friends are in Buffalo, NY. We haven't been home since we moved.

Coco (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Ceasar is a 4 year old Yorkshire Terrier. I got him from a breeder. He likes to play with his toys.

Ceasar (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Stella and Gunner are Yorkies. Stella and Gunner belong to my son Justin and his girlfriend Amanda. Stella has been a part of the family for several years now and Gunner (the one-eyed wonder) was rescued from a home this past year in Austin.

yorkies

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Odie (Yorkshire Terrier) Photo. Odie is our 2 year, 10 month old Yorkshire Terrier. Our 12 yr old yorkie died in my arms so we had to get another pet.

Odie (Yorkshire Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Muffin was born on Cinco de Mayo 2005 and gotten by my mom at a puppy mill.

Muffin ready for Halloween.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Rascal will be 5 months on the 24th. He is a full blooded Yorkie. I met my breeder on the internet and picked him up when he was 9 weeks old.

Comment Like this photo? 5

Punkin is a Yorkshire Terrier. We think she is around 10 or 11, she is a rescue dog. We have had her for 2 years.

A yorkie wearing a pink sweater and bow.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I took this picture of my Yorkshire terrier, Harley and my miniature doberman, Hank. When I raise the blinds in my bedroom, they both love to get up on the bed and watch people and cars move through the parking lot.

Hank (Yorkshire Terrier) and Harley (Miniature Doberman) - looking out the window.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Sukki is a 2 year old Yorkie mix that I got from a breeder. He loves to lounge. He's my shadow!

Comment Like this photo? 7

Webster is a 13 year old Yorkie. I got Webster when he was 3 months old and weighed 2 pounds. It was love at first sight! Webster has been quite the entertainer in his day. He counts, multiplies, and divides in English and Spanish.

Webster and Mitzi in a patriotic sailor parade float.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5
Load More