Rat Terrier Breed Information and Photos

Category Dog Breeds
The Rat Terrier is an intelligent, feisty, loving pet. This guide contains Rat Terrier breed information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Doc and Hoss are four years old. Doc, the Jack Russell, was a rescue puppy from some very drunk people at a bar. Hoss, the Rat Terrier, came to us by way of Craigslist, from some kids moving to Ohio that couldn't take him with them.

Doc loves to swim and he spins in circles bucking like a bull. We call that the rodeo. He loves to play Frisbee, stick, and ball. Hoss likes to do everything Doc does, although he is much more verbal about it. They are highly entertaining, great companions, and since this is my first time with little dogs, I was surprised at how quiet they usually are. Great personalities, and very loyal and protective.

By Diana A. from Las Vegas, NV

Jack Russel and Rat Terrier dogs standinog up in the branches of a large tree

Comment Like this photo? 14

Izzy Bella is a 9 month old Rat Terrier (Fiest). I got her on March 12th 2010 at 8 weeks old. She was a gift for my birthday from a friend, after my Panda (Japanese Chin) passed on after being together almost 15 years.

She catches on to commands very quickly. She loves to run and play with who ever will. She has 2 favorite toys the so far are indestructible. One is a ball that hides treats and the other is a doggy pacifier. Her favorite is riding in the car in her car seat. This is her first Halloween photo.

By Keeper

Izzy Bella (Rat Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 29

Sarah is a 6 month old Rat Terrier. I got her from my mom on Christmas. She likes to play and run. She is really cute and small.

By Shelby

Sarah (Rat Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 7

Taz is one and a half years old. He is a full Rat Terrier. I got Taz in 2009 for my birthday. Taz likes to go on walks, chase squirrels, play tug-o-war, and most of all, have his tummy rubbed!

By BargainGirl

Taz (Rat Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 10

Lucy is 12 years old and a Rat Terrier. I rescued Lucy from a pet store in NY that was neglecting animals. It was truly love at first sight! Lucy just loves to be wherever mom is. She loves to go for walks with her sister Angel and loves to swim.

Lucy has been a diabetic for 6 years and has to have insulin shots twice a day. In December of 2009, Lucy was diagnosed with cancer of the bladder, but her and her mom are determined to fight this disease!

By Misia from Jenks, OK

Lucy (Rat Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 10

Gonzo is 7 years old and a Rat Terrier. We got him when he was 6 months old. He loves to play and do tricks with the kids. He is a very lovable doggie. He loves for kids to baby him. They carry him around like a baby. He lets them dress him up, too cute!

By Marjorie from Vacaville, CA

Gonzo (Rat Terrier) in a costume.

Comment Like this photo? 5

My daughter adopted Tippy from a shelter. She is an older dog (7 years) and they said there was less chance of her being adopted because of that, but my daughter loved her at first sight! Her cute little single pointing ear is how she got her name Tippy.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Little Bit is 2 years old. She is a toy Rat Terrier. I got her when she was 4 months old in the mountains. She likes to sleep, but she is energetic. Little Bit loves bones, is very tough, and likes to bite.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

This is our Rat Terrier, Sam. He's from just outside Chicago and is 4 months old. He's already made good friends with Riley, our Golden Retriever. They play quite a bit outside and inside, Sam tries to eat Riley's food when Riley's not looking.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Ginger is 4 years old and is a Miniature Rat Terrier. She was the Pet-of-the-Week and we saw her on the local news. We called the animal shelter and told them that we would be perfect parents for her!

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

My puppy Corky when he was 5 weeks was the size of a shoe. He is a registered Rat Terrier that has grown to be 14 pounds at the age of 8 months. His favorite game is "tug of war" and "keep away" with his toys. He is the son we never had. Tommie is the cat shown in the picture. By Connie

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is Corkey my rat terrier I received as a help in dealing with my diabetes. He keeps me active and is some one to cuddle on the bad days. A very lovable little fellow.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Izzy Bella (Rat Terrier)

Izzy Bella is a 11 week old (Jan.15,2010) Rat Terrier. I got her from a friend at 8 weeks.

Where do I begin? She still hops like a bunny and jumps like she has a built in pogo stick. She's definitely NOT a lap dog, yet! She knows the difference between her ball and stuffed baby. She's learning to give you her paw and walking on a leash. I gave up on "pee pads" a friend sent because the kitchen looked like it was snowing in March.

At night she sleeps in her bed in the kitchen w/o whining but during nap time she'll sleep w/her butt on my left shoulder and head down. Her favorite pastime is watching pet videos on YouTube. She cocks her head when dogs bark and hasn't figured out she can to.

We want to thank everyone who responded w/names for her. It was fun. Although I still miss Panda Bear deeply, I'm so happy I have Izzy to love for the next 14+ years also.

By Keeper

Answers:

Izzy Bella (Rat Terrier)

Welcome Izzy Bella. I know she will bring you many years of happiness, and love. (04/14/2010)

By Ruth

Izzy Bella (Rat Terrier)

LOL. You are going to have so much fun with Izzy Bella in the future. They sure are good company! Good luck with her.
(04/14/2010)

By Jane R.

Izzy Bella (Rat Terrier)

Oh my goodness, how cute! I will admit, I LOVE Terriers! Jacks and Rats are the best to me! How cute is she?! Give her a big ole hug from me and my three girls! (04/14/2010)

By Trundgirl

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

She is not yet named, so far she answers to "No No!", but I'd like suggestions from ThriftyFun readers on the name. She is 7 weeks old and a Fiest (female). A surprise gift from a friend! I got her on 3-8-2010.

She likes dragging around a flannel receiving blanket. When she runs, she actually hops like a bunny! She's only been with me for short time so we're just getting acquainted.

I lost Panda (Japanese Chin) last December after 14 years so no name (yet) has brought joy and laughter back into my life. I posted her photo to my friends and family asking for names so I'm open to suggestions from the Thrifty Fun readers. Bella(Italian for Beautiful)is at the top of the list.

Thanks to all for the kind words when I lost Panda,

By Keeper from NC

Answers:

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

May I suggest "Thumper" because she hops around like a bunny. Ooh, I like Easter too. Thanks for letting us help! (03/17/2010)

By jannieb

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

Aww she's so cute, the girls are loving the emails with photos from you. Thanks. (03/17/2010)

By Ruth

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

How about Lola? I think this is a fiesty name! This is a name we considered for our last dog but we decided on Dixie (which you are welcome to use). What are no name (yet)'s parents names? That was something we also considered when we picked a name (daddy's name was Harley and mother's name was Reba). Yes, after the motorcycle and singer! One of Dixie's siblings was named Smokey after the UT mascot. We felt like we needed a southern sounding name. Please let us know what you decide and enjoy her a lot. (03/17/2010)

By Dixie's Mom

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

How about "Keeper Two" (to honor your name and that your new little one is a keeper, too!). (03/18/2010)

By caseye

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

How about Molly? (03/18/2010)

By Mary Moo

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

How about Fiesta? just a letter away from Fiest and it is Spanish for party. Looks as though life will be more of a party with her, and according to her temperament. Fiesty may be the one! Go safely, Lesley (03/18/2010)

By popet

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

I think Bella is over used. I know so many people and pets named Bella. What about, " Flannel?" Now that's original! Or "Hops" Or "38 Special" since you got her on 3-8 ! Or you could think of an athlete that wore a 38 and name her after that person. Or look up something interesting that happened or was invented in 1938 and name her after that. Have fun! Be original! And congratulations! (03/18/2010)

By PainterLee

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

What a cutie! How about 'Nona' (pronounced like Mona) as a cute short for 'no name' and that way you can still say no no when she's doing something she shouldn't ;-) (03/18/2010)

By Deeli

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

Hi Keeper,
I see so many great doggie names here, but your new little one's name is "Spirit" for many reasons.

Love and Best Wishes to you both, Julia in Boca Raton, FL (03/18/2010)

By PookaRina

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

How about Pookie? (03/18/2010)

By pigeon toes

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

She looks like a Poppit to me with her head sticking up from the table like that. Bella is too tame a name for her!
She is a cutie! (03/19/2010)

By jgl77771

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

Wow. We're overwhelmed with all your responses. On PainterLees' suggestion of"38 Special". Before I retired from the Sheriff's Dept, I carried a Glock19 but carried a .38 off duty. It would be very fitting. I've written down all of your suggestions so far and hope something"pops"shortly. I thank each of you for all your love and support. ThriftyFun Family is always there when needed. (03/19/2010)

By keeper60

RE: Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

Although she looks like a "Patches", since she's carrying that flannel blanket around, a female version of "Linus" (I think that's the one with the blanket from the Peanuts cartoon) seems appropriate. She's so cute and reminds me of my childhood dog named, you guessed it, "Patches"! Good luck with her! (03/19/2010)

By bonnierls

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

She looks a bit like a Firefox (red panda), so maybe a name along those lines? (03/20/2010)

By WildIrish

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

Meet Izzy Bella. I can't thank you all enough for your suggestions. I wish I could name her several of unique names. she's turned into quite an entertainer. The harder I laugh the more amusing she gets. Outside she has fun running and gathering pine cones or chasing her faux frisbee. A margarine lid. Some of our friends sent "shower gifts". In this latest photo, she's teething on her very own pacifier. (03/27/2010)

By keeper60

RE: Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

Keeper's New Dog (Fiest)

I was just wondering late last night what you might have decided to name her and Izzy Bella is an adorable name! Thank you so much for letting us know and thank you too for sharing her antics and current photo! :-) (03/27/2010)

By Deeli