Meals That Reheat Well

I am looking for meal ideas that re-heat well. My husband and I work opposite hours on the weekends and I need some meal ideas that I can cook the night before and he can re-heat the next day. A lot of the time-the foods I make (for instance- meat and vegetable plate which he loves) don't re-heat well. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Erin from Tennessee

A waitress gave a group of us this tip. Instead of always using the microwave...use your stove top. We had ordered lasagna and she recommened to reheat on the stove top. It was just as quick and it didn't come out rubbery.

Things I like to make that reheat well are: soups, stews, chili, casseroles, tacos,etc. I also like to make a big batch of meatballs(use your favorite recipe!),flash freeze until they don't stick together, then toss them in a freezer bag and freeze. Whenever you want you can thaw them out in the fridge, reheat, and use for BBQ meatballs, sweet and sour meatballs, spaghetti, meatball subs, soup, etc. The same trick works with ground beef. Brown your ground beef alone or with onions and freeze. Then its a cinch to make spaghetti, tacos, chili, casseroles, etc. Also, utilize your leftovers. Even if your husband doesn't cook, a batch of chili you make one day he can serve over a hot dog the next, or leftover taco meat can be made into a taco salad, etc. Also keep plenty of fresh fruits and veggies on hand for healthy, easy, no cook side dishes. Hope this helps!

As "ttompson posted, any casseroles re-heat nicely (like tuna, mac & cheese or lasagna). If you make soups take a measuring cup & scoop the same amount into each zip lock baggie then get the air bubble out & re-seal the bag. Now stack each baggie on it's side, flat. This way you can stack 10 or so servings of soup, one on top of each other. You simply reheat them in the microwave. Just barely warm the soup up in the bag while it sits in a bowl or on a plate just until it's defrosted, then pour the defrosted soup into a bowl & heat it the rest of the way.

* I once left my husband with my kids for 2 weeks with more than enough food to feed them in the freezer. All that had to be done was read the directions on the tag & re-heat it. In fact, my mother-in-law married a man who's wife had died from cancer. but before she died, she baked & cooked like crazy & froze all of these goodies in a huge deep-freeze for her 7 kids. Her 11 year old daughter once told me that they ate their mother's cooking for nearly 3 years after she had died. They especially enjoyed her pies & brownies... What a special lady she must have been & what a wonderful & practical gift she gave to her family!

First, please teach your husband to cook. All men should know how to run the kitchen, all women how to work on the car, house, etc. I have 3 sons, all learned how to cook great. My dad cooks better than my mom. No one starves.

Make entrees to fix a baked potato with. Many types of pasta--toss with butter, spice, eat. Make grilled cheese and tomato soup. My 6 yr old granddaughter has lovely ideas for what she wants to cook and CAN.

Buy a commercial size can of instant potatoes--can be used for many things such as breading your meat/chicken; filler for meat loaf and make some to eat.

Simple idea. 1 pound ground beef, 1 egg, little salt/pepper/1 can veg. beef soup concentrated. Mix together with bread crumbs, cracker crumbs or a little inst. potato. Put into foil lined pan (hence no mess) add a little BBQ sauce or ketchup over if you please (I make my own sauces) and throw in a scrubbed potato. The time it takes to bake the potato on 350 is the same amount of time to cook the meat loaf.

There are many components that take the same time as a baked potato. All does not have to be heated left overs.

My son's fiancee gets home after he does, he calls me to explain recipes, offer substitutes, etc and she appreciates the meal greeting her at the door.

Stews and casseroles reheat well. Also, check out the offerings at your local all you can eat buffet - they have to offer food that reheats well - or stays warm for hours without too much damage.

Most casseroles reheat fairly well. And there are tons of homemade soups and chilis that are actually better the second time around.

Also, try googling something like "meals to reaheat or "second time meals" etc.

Try this - http://www.mckenziesfoods.com.au/recipe/9/Minestrone_Soup

Naturally, you can use any Italian soup base mix of beans, peas and lentils. Absolutely delish! and even better re-heated.

Filled pasta is also very quick and easy, and, if you do a tomato-based sauce, either ready-made or myo, once it's reheated, add a good dollop of thickened cream and stir in. Takes out the acidity, the "bite" of the tomato, and makes it restaurant quality. Eminently re heatable, especially in a microwave oven.

Dominus tecum Leonie In Australia

I'm with Grandma J. Unless he's helpless, he can fix himself something or thaw something out and nuke it.

Buy a chuck roast, to make it very simple and quick for you here is one I loved. Also use your crock pot.While you work. Goulash anything you want spaghetti and meatballs can be ready when your hubby gets home. Also he can make stuff for himself hot dog's and hamburg's.But

back to the chuck roast. I like that cut of meat better then a English cut roast for the simple fact it is not as dry.My husband and I think it taste's better.

Take your roast put it in a baking pan (9x12) 3 beef boullion cubes,add 1/2 pan water or more if you would like or more depending on your taste.Or you can use beef broth in a can about 2-3 large ones but I like the boullion cubes much better.

2-3 can's of potatoes or more depending on how much you like them just cut them up while in the pan. I was surprised the first time my husband made a roast and used the potato's in the can. They taste pretty good.

Add 1-2 cans sliced carrots or 1-2 small carrots in a bag.Green beans small whole onion's anything else you would like.Cover with foil. I cook my roasts at least 4-5 hour's depending on size.

They say the longer you cook a roast the tougher it becomes it is a lie. If cooked long enough it will fall apart as you are trying to take it out of the pan.It is best I think when warmed. If you wish you can use frozen vegetables. Either way it is delicious and will be just as great when you warm it up.Now if you are watching salt or like fresh veggies if you have the time by all means use them but sometimes time is not a luxury a working woman has!

Good Luck and I agree with Grandma J, my husband can cook and he is really good at it so maybe you guy's could break the cooking up.Also have him help with the house work men can do more then they lead on! This needs to be figured out now because when you have kids you will not want to be doing everything by yourself. And even if you don't plan on them, wives do get sick also and need help. Darlene

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJuly 26, 2008
Man choosing meat.
Using Cheaper Cuts of Meat
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Cleaning Well Water Stains from a Bathtub
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook
🎄
🍂