Why is My Dishwasher Leaving a Dirty Gritty Residue?

By Leah 1

My dishwasher is leaving residue that looks like dirt (gritty, etc.) all over the dishes and especially the top of the door. Any suggestions as to why it's doing this?

By Leah from Garland, TX

Showing: Answers Sort

By Judi 18 938 Flag

Some dishwashers have a filter that needs to be cleaned out. One of mine had a filter on the sink that had to be unscrewed and cleaned. My newest dishwasher says I don't have to rinse dishes first but if I don't I get that dirty grit also. Maybe try rinsing like I do if you're not already.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I suspect that there is a filter that needs cleaning or that the spray arms are plugged with gunk. Try running an empty load with about a cup of vinegar in the rinse. Wouldn't hurt to add some to the wash cycle too. Some people like to run the dishwasher with a package of Tang (because it would have acetic acid) so you could try that instead of the vinegar, if you wanted. I have never tried it, but there is no reason it shouldn't help.

For some reason the food materials are not pumping out of your dishwasher with the water. Either there is a clogged filter, a clogged spray arm, or some large buildup of crud in the inside.

You could try changing your detergent as well. Perhaps that brand of detergent doesn't work well in that type of water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Julie 99 Flag

We had to take ours apart, removing the bottom arm, filters, etc. when this happened a month ago. The area where the water enters the pump to go to the top spinner arm was plugged with chunks of food. We cleaned a lot of slime off all parts that could be removed, reassembled, and now all is well...for the moment.

BTW, the sales person said this model was supposed to grind up food! But it seems to need a clean-out every few months. Needless to say, the kids are now under orders to LOOK at what they are placing in the dishwasher and scrape into the trash if necessary.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 30, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:29:10 PM on 10.0.2.213 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings