Cooking TipsFood Tips

Decrease the Boiling Time of Water

Category Cooking Tips

If you are in a big hurry when bringing water to a boil, two small pots of water will come to a boil much faster than one big pot. Once the water boils, you can combine it into one big pot if you need that room for the pasta or whatever.

By Becki from IN

Also putting a lid on your pot when brining the water to a boil will shorten the time it takes to boil the water.

what i do is let the faucet of hot water run for a few minutes to it get it real hot then i put it in a pan and on the stove- it boils quicker

Also, if you add a little bit of salt or butter or a few drops of oil it tends to boil faster as well.

We always put a small amount of water in the pan with the lid on and put it on to heat while we boil the rest of the water needed in the kettle. It's much quicker that way, especially when putting a pasta pan on.

I was told (admittedly a very long time ago) never to use the water from the hot tap for cooking/drinking. I think it was something to do with separate water storage and/or heating methods may contaminate the water. Some homes/schools/offices had a header tank in the loft which had no lid and if you got birds or other vermin in your loft they could contaminate the water. I'm sure this doesn't happen these days, but it's stuck in my mind. I could be wrong, it may just have been for the heating, but it's worth knowing just in case I think.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Does an egg cook faster in tap water or salt water?

I have found that you NEVER add salt to the water until it is boiling (this actually decreases the time to boil water). Cover your pot to make the water boil faster......and never NEVER add oil to your pasta water...(no matter what other people have told you)

I'm just a student in high school but we did an experiment in chemistry to see if adding salt really did make water come to a boil faster. Our discovery was that it actually raises the temperature needed to boil the water therefore increases the time until it boiled.