Gerbera Growing As A Perennial

I have a Gerbera plant that is doing well and would like to propagate it. I went to the plant nursery to buy another perennial Gerbera and was told they're annuals. Mine doesn't know it is only supposed to last one year (that's why I'd like to have more of the same). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I don't have the answer but lucky you!

I've got Gerbera Daisy as perennials also. I'm in South Alabama. But, they produce all year long.

All I do is pull out the dead stuff and TRY to get a rooting off of the flower stems. I've rooted them in water and ROOTONE. I started with 3 and have about 15.

Rootone is the trick as far as I'm concerned!!

Hi, I am located in the Dallas area and have been pleasantly surprised for the last 5 or 6 years with a couple of gerberas. Originally they were a part of my Easter center piece. When I bought them they were in 4 inch pots, now they are each about 24" wide with lots of stems. Does anyone know if I can divide them? If so, when is a good time?

Try going to Google ... propagating perennials.

In your area they are perennials. Most garden centers treat them as annuals because they want you to buy more next year. Google 'Gerbera jamesonii' and see what you can find.

Hello Holly,

I received a gerbera daisy plant as a gift last year and it has returned as a perennial. I live in zone 6a. I plan to buy another gerbera next year. Aren't we lucky?

Well established Gerbera Daisy Flowers can be easily divided by gently separating the plant at the root/crown area and re-potting. Use clean knife while dormant in winter.

During hard winter with frosts, leave dividing til early spring.

I like idea from Karen55 of using rootone - sounds like something worth trying. Gerberas can be both perennial or annuals depending on growing conditions.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 16, 2008
Perennial Vinca with Purple Flowers
Growing Perennial Vinca
Fennel growing in a garden.
Growing Fennel
Growing Perennial Vegetables
Gerbera Daisy
Growing Gerbera Daisies