Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Mush Recipe

My mom used to make "mush" for us when we were kids, and I need to get the recipe. She is deceased now so I cannot get the recipe from her. I have found recipes on the internet, but they use cornmeal, and it is yellow, what she made us was white. Would anyone happen to know how to make this? Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!

jmz2005 from Illinois

By

By Norsky (Guest Post)02/23/2009

My family has enjoyed mush for years and I make it for my kids now. It's also called Rommegrot in Norway. All you have to do is melt a stick of butter. Stir in a good 3/4 cup of flour. Wisk this untill it forms a paste. Slowly wisk in about 3 to 4 cups of whole milk. Depending on how thick you like it. You can add a 3/4 cup of sugar if you like it sweet. Cook to a boil and remove from heat. Put in bowls to cool. While its cooling put a good size pat of butter on top and generously sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Can be served warm or after its cooled a bit. Delicious !

By Jason (Guest Post)02/17/2009

Alright, this is another great way to make it:

Make a nice portion of Cream of wheat, or grits.
Pour out on a cookie sheet and refrigerate overnight.
Cut in 3x3 squares.
Brush on beaten egg to all sides.
Coat in flour.
Fry this up in hot butter until lightly brown and crisp.

This is VERY rich tasting, I eat it with a little sugar but maple syrup is good too.

Enjoy!

By Todd123456789 (Guest Post)11/22/2008

My motther used to make mush for us also. All it was is milk and flour. The trick is to get it like thick gravey without too many lumps> We used to pour it on a plate, put a couple pats of butter on it, then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon. We would pour a little milk around the edges. we loved it.

By Bonni (Guest Post)04/02/2008

I have exactly what you are looking for. I was one of ten kids and this was our favorite breakfast.

MUSH
1/2 cup butter
4 cups whole milk
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
dash of salt

Heat milk w/sugar and salt. In a separate pan melt butter. When melted stir in flour and cook on medium heat for a few minutes (do not brown). Add flour and butter mixture to hot milk. Wisk until smooth and comes to a boil.
Hope this is what you remember. Enjoy

By (Guest Post)02/16/2008

Wow, there are a lot of corn mush stories out there. Its great camp food, stores well and low odor. It's just 2 parts water, and 1 part cornmeal. I like to add ramen noodle seasoning for savory or jelly for sweet. When chilled, sliced and fried, its called polenta.

By LaVae (Guest Post)12/28/2007

I, too, had white mush as a kid. I found a couple recipes in Norwegian cookbook for Cream Porridge (Flotegrod)
1 qt. whipping cream, 2-1/2 qt. milk, 3 c. flour, 2 tsp. salt. Boil cream about 10 min. til it stops foaming. Stir 3 T flour to make a thin porridge. Fat will separate. Remove from fire and set aside for 3 min. with cover on and remove fat. Serve with sugar, cinnamon and the fat that separates. There is another recipe called velvet porridge (Floilsgrod) almost the same but with 3 pts. milk, 3/4 c. butter, 2 c. flour, 1/2 cup water and salt. These are very similar to Rommegrot which is sweet like a dessert, sugar and cinnamon on top. Hope this helps.

By Betty S.08/25/2007

My Mother made oatmeal mush for us when we were growing up in Illinois. She cooked oatmeal the night before, put it in a pie pan or a flat baking dish and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Then for breakfast the next morning she cut it in squares and fried them. We ate them with syrup on them and they were so good. Try it, you'll like it!

By Nancy (Guest Post)01/15/2007

Maybe she used Sweet corn (which is white) for the cornmeal???

By julie07/02/2006

We always used grits. My granny would cook it until it was real thick, then make patties or slice it, depending on her mood, I guess, :)

She always fried it in bacon grease.

lol, for a minute, I thought you meant Livermush, I used to make huge batches of that one!

By CONNIE (Guest Post)07/01/2006

THIS IS A RECIPE FOR CORNMEAL MUSH, MY GRANDMOTHER USE TO MAKE IT AND REFRIGERATE IT UNTIL SHE COULD SLICE IT AND THEN WOULD FRY IT IN BACON GREASE. I BELIEVE THE ITALIANS CALL IT POLENTA.

What you need:
1 1/4 cups cornmeal-(WHITE OR YELLOW)
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
What you do:
Mix together cornmeal, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes.
If using as cereal, spoon mush into bowls and serve with milk and sugar, if desired. If frying, pour mixture into a loaf pan and chill completely. Remove from pan, cut into slices, and fry in a small amount of oil over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Serve with sauce of your choice.

By Eletha Cole (Guest Post)07/01/2006

My mom used cream of wheat to make mush. When I make it I use white corn meal. They both taste about the same. If you make it really thick and let it set in the fridge awhile, you can cut it into slabs and fry them. My mom used to do this to eat with pinto beans.

By nancy80501 (Guest Post)06/27/2006

Try getting some grits at the grocery store. Follow the directions on the package - - that MIGHT be what she used.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]06/27/2006

My Mom made cornmeal mush when I was young....I can't remember if it was yellow or white but cornmeal comes in both colors. I haven't had it in years and years. She fried it....it was good. Maybe I should ask her how she made it and try my hand at making some. My husband isn't wild about cornmeal or things made with it, probably cuz he's not terribly fond of corn but the kids might like it.

By Connie A. (Guest Post)06/27/2006

My grandmother also made "mush" for us and we ate it in a glass of milk. She had boiling water in a pot and added white cornmeal with a little salt and stirred until thicken. It is really good when it's still hot to put in a glass and pour milk over it. yummm. Those were the days!

By siris (Guest Post)06/27/2006

It may have been Creme of Wheat, not corn. The Ukranian folk let it set until cool and slice and fry it. Good that way too.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)06/27/2006

some folks use cream of wheat for mush. you can also make a mush-like product from oatmeal.(i prefer baked oatmeal- taste like oatmeal cookies and has the texture of bread pudding) my favorite mush is made from grits though.

By Kelly [15]06/25/2006

Try grits....Albers is the name. They are sold next to the Malt o Meal. Sorry, it is white Corn meal, but sold under that. ALso you can look up recipes on their locater through verybestbaking.com (Nestle) Click on the logo at the upper right hand corner.

By (Guest Post)06/25/2006

You might want to try cooked oatmeal-(preparation directions usually on package.)

By (Guest Post)06/25/2006

Try white corn meal, available in most supermarkets.