HOMITA DVD Player Only Playing Black and White

My father recently gave my kids a 7 inch portable DVD player. The model is HOMITA S2153. Although it is not brand new, it has worked perfect up until today. As of today it no longer plays in color...only black and white. We have tried adjusting all the settings to no avail. There's nothing about it in the manual either. Does anyone know what we did wrong, or anything I can try? I emailed the company and never heard back from them.

Kim in NJ

What kind of cords are you using to connect it to the tv?

S-video cords frequently fail. Usually they just stop showing the red color (or show all red only, I forget) but it is possible that all colors failed at once.

Also, if you are using RCA (white, red, and yellow) make sure they are all still connected properly. Try replacing them.

It is always cheaper, easier, and faster to try new cords than take the player in for diagnosis or repair.

If you have extra connections on the TV, try moving the cords. It is also possible that your input has failed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply :) but we are not connecting to any TV.. just watching in on its own.. its a portable.

thanks. Kim

If you find out please let me know how to fix it. I have the same problem with mine. Please email me at tripple_d_1999@yahoo.com

I know. My Homita (same model) does the exact same thing. Only plays in black and white. Not even 1 yr old. I called 1-800-726-9493 ext 324 got some foreign guy saying he could not help us. But the phone # was Homita, maybe he was in Hong Kong, or something. Please email me if you figure it out. We also, tried everything.. I was going to send it back but warranty expired. Thanks.Good luck.

I had the same problem and found out I had pluged the rca video cord into the svideo jack. It played black and white pic unti I pluged it into the video slot NOT the svideo.Hope this helps.

my dvd player have started to play black and white. I tryed different scart leads but no luck. so i tried the other connection in the tv and the problem is ok now .It looks like the connection has a fault on the tv set.

My Homita S2153 (portable) did the same thing started playing black and white. Any solutions or answers or tricks to make it work in color again. My 2 1/2 year old grandson on road trips want purple barney!

Great help Erin!

I switched RCA cords and I now have color. The other one must've went bad. Thank goodness I had a spare.

A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
DVD Player
DVD Player Tray Won't Open
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Playing Cards Costume
SanDisk Sansa
Using a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Player