How do you make loud shoes quiet?

This site is great! I have mid-heel shoes with a chunky heel that makes a loud clunk when I walk on hard floors. Is there a way to quiet them down? I tried putting layers of masking tape on the bottom of the heel, but it made the shoes slippery and the tape wore off pretty quickly.

Maxine

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Would there be a way you could find a cobbler to but some rubber on the bottom? Or hot glue some on yourself?

Head to the shoe repair shop. They can put heel plates in heavy duty rubber on for you. Quiets the shoes right down.

Actually, I did try the shoe repair shop. Cost me $25 and they're just as loud! They replaced the hard plastic on the very bottom with what I think is hard rubber. Anyone know where I can get the right kind of soft rubber to glue on myself?

You could paint the bottoms with Shoe Goo or with Gorilla Glue (don't spread all the way to the edges as it expands.)

Did the Shoe Goo work? I really would like to know how to quiet down noisy shoes, we're discouraged to wear noisy shoes at work, and that has severely limited my shoe wardrobe.

Is there a household item that would make them quieter?

it'd probably wear off fast but isnt hot glue pretty much hot melted rubber? cover your heel with hot glue let it cool.. probably cheaper than goin to a shop..might not do anything though.. i'm too lazy to try things myself.

I've successfully used the 1/4 in thick pads that are used under the bottom of chair legs so floors aren't scratched. The pads don't last forever under chair legs either, but because of wet weather and snow, I have to change monthly if it is a shoe I wear daily. I've not found them in black so I use a permanent black marker to color the edge that is visible.

The chair pads work great!! I then took a sharp knife and cut half the padding away so they weren't so noticeable to my feet.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceAugust 12, 2005
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Dog Hearing Loud Noise
Dog Afraid of Loud Noises
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 5:01:19 AM on 10.0.2.184 in 987 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.