Leftover Cafe

contest winner icon

Need a fun way to get your family to eat leftovers? We have a "Leftover Cafe" night once a week. We decorate the table with fake flowers and candles, and play some music in the background.

Taking turns each week, one of my daughters sorts through the fridge for leftovers from recent meals. Another makes a menu listing each food available. My little one just draws pictures, while my older daughter writes descriptions similar to what you might find on a fancy restaurant menu.

One is the waitress, taking everyone's orders on a pad of paper and bringing them to the table with a French accent. I am, of course, the cook and am in charge of reheating everything. The kids think it's a blast, and actually eat more leftovers this way. Plus, it's great family time.

Who knew eating leftovers could be so fun?

By volvomom from San Diego, CA

What a wonderful and positive and fun idea!

Your description of Cafe night is delightful. Family togetherness, mixed with creativity, playing out different roles, everyone assisting in the "eating down the refrigerator", as my Dad used to say, all contribute to The Good Life!

I'm glad to see this one featured as one of our daily "tips". It is such a cute idea, I would have loved to do that when I was a little girl.

Way to go VolvoMom! Great idea! Sounds like fun, too!

This is brilliant. It says more about family togetherness than about eating leftovers...and I say 'Bravo'!

A former ride share lady told me about "GEYOS" night...Get it Yourself or Starve! Both sound like fun but yours is ingenious!

Take Out Containers in Refrigerator
Using Leftovers
Parenting General Parenting The Family KitchenOctober 6, 2010
Duck Dinner
Recipes Using Leftover Duck
Leftover Christmas Candy
Uses for Leftover Christmas Candy
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
business woman in coffee shop
Starting a Coffee Shop Business