Using Cake Flour

Category Baking
Cake Flour
Cake flour tends to yield a more tender, fluffier cake than other types of flour. This is a guide about using cake flour.

Never pay for it!

Total Time: 2 seconds

Yield: 1 Cup

Source: My files

• 2 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1 cup flour

Directions:

• Mix them together, this equals 1 cup of cake flour.
  • Comment Was this helpful? 2

For every cup of cake flour called for in your recipes, you can substitute 1 cup minus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour.

By Robin

What type of flour are you suppose to use when baking? Is it all purpose, self rising, or regular flour? I am using all purpose flour, but my cakes still don't come out right. Anyone who knows what kind I should use, please let me know. Thanks.

Mary from San Antonio, TX

Best Answer

If it doesn't say, then it should be all-purpose flour. Make sure that you are measuring correctly. Use a measuring cup that is meant for solids not liquids. Stir your flour then scoop lightly into the cup then use a knife or other straight object to take off the excess. Do not pack it into the cup or you will have too much flour. They do make a cake flour as well but it is lighter than regular flour so you have to use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons for every cup of regular flour called for. Hope this might help in any way, Good Luck!

Best Answer

You can make your own cake flour by sifting all purpose wheat flour. You sift 3/4 of the flour plus 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. This will save you having to buy a second flour.

Best Answer

Sift your flour. Sifting can make a large difference in the actual amount of flour that goes into your cooking. If you have a food scale, weigh the flour as well. "1 cup" can vary, but 130 grams is always 130 grams.

Best Answer

I am a baker. The best flour for cakes is Cake flour. I like Softassilk cake flour. To make All purpose flour cake flour, take out two tablespoons and add two tablespoons of corn starch. Don't Add extra corn starch to All purpose flour. Sift first Then measure. If you are new to baking. Try using the reverse creaming method where you start with dry ingredients then you'll always have a light fuffy cake.

I made a spice cake that I had made several years ago. I didn't have cake flour this time so I used plain flour. It was almost flat as a pancake. What could have caused this? Could it be not using cake flour, not creaming the shortening, sugars, and eggs enough? Please advise.

Doris

By Doris from Logansport, IN

Best Answer

If you used plain flour, then you will need to use baking powder and/or baking soda.

Best Answer

I make my own cake flour since it's so much cheaper than the commercial product. Cake flour only contains flour and cornstarch, and cornstarch is not a leveling agent.

One time I ruined a homemade cake by mixing the batter too long. Maybe this is what happened to your cake.

By all means, don't throw the cake out. It can still be frosted and eaten.

This is a great website, save it in your favorites. http://www.baki  kes/problems.htm

What is cake flour? I have never heard of it.

By Cookiecutter from NM

Best Answer

Cake flour is a special kind of flour used in baking. It contains less gluten than regular all purpose flour. It is sold in the baking aisle of the supermarket. Cake flour usually comes in a box. Swan's Down is one brand I've used. You use cake flour to make a cake that is delicate, tender and light.

Best Answer

You can make your own cake flour by sifting 3/4 cup bleached all purpose flour and 2 tablespoons of corn starch.