African Violets Damaged By Cold

I finally succeeded in getting one of my 2 African Violet plants to bloom several weeks ago. Before going out of town for several days, I rigged up a thermostatically controlled heater to prevent the sun-room from dropping below 60 deg or so, since I knew these plants are not cold tolerant. My thermostat malfunctioned, and I returned home to 2 pathetic looking African Violets, although the blooms on the one looks good as new. I need to know if I should trim off the cold damaged leaves. It looks like new leaves are coming in at the center of the plants, and after almost 2 weeks after the damage occurred, the blooms on the one still look great! Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Victor from WV

My mother used to grow beautiful African Violets. I remember that she was always pinching everything dead off the plants. btw, if it helps, she never put them in direct sunlight. Always a little ways back from South windows.

Hey ........my sister-in-law always told me as long as there's green growth in the middle they should survive....my mom used to grow the most beautiful violets when she was alive but I haven't got her green thumb.......good luck with yours :0)

I'd spray the leaves with a weak diluted solution of Sea Kelp as I do mine, keeping it in a "Af. violet"

pot which automatically waters it's roots only with some of the solution (about 1 tsp.per gallon of water) which can be bought from H. Depot, garden dept. My friend who works at the greenhouses brings me some of her residual mix after watering her plants there. You can use this wonderful product on most every indoor plant except cactus and sedum, and see wonders almost overnight. Just don't overdo the leaf spraying nor add to often to water in pot (nly every third filling. If too strong, make it only every third month).

I turn it 1/4 th circle each day or so and the leaves seem to be even and healthy, blooming only every month or so. I do NOT feed regular violet food. Mine is about three years old, always in the same location. I have it one foot from a fairly shaded window, inside on the west side of my house. Don't let them dry out, nor keep them boggy. Try to learn the balance. Good luck and God bless you. : )

Editor's Note: I've had very bad luck with spraying African Violet leaves, it seems like it always killed them. I always watered from the bottom.

I will be leaving fro Florida for January and turn thermostat down to about 54 degrees. What can I do to keep my African Violets healthy. I recently transplanted them into a Af Violet pot that is self watering. Also what do you use for feeding? Thanks

African Violets
Growing African Violets
Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthFebruary 2, 2007
Pot of purple African Violets against a white background
Buying African Violets
African Daisy Photo
Growing African Daisies
Two pots of African Voilets, Watering Can, gardening gloves, and extra pots against a white background
Transplanting African Violets
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
🎉
🎄