Protecting Carpet While Painting

Category Painting
Avoiding paint spills and splatters on carpet is a major concern for DIY painters. This guide has advice about protecting carpet while painting.

I helped a friend redecorate her son's bedroom, which included painting the walls and trims, repairing the skirting boards, and repainting. We didn't want the hassle of pulling up the carpet.

After lots of thought, I decided the best way to protect the carpet edges around the skirting was to use wide masking tape and tape it onto the carpet, pushing down the edges with a spatula into the space between the carpet and the skirting. I then added a second strip for wider coverage.

You could even tape the drop sheets onto this. It worked brilliantly, and made painting around the doors particularly easy!

By Sabre63 from Melbourne, Australia

Wish I'd thought of this!

Marg from England.

I want to paint the crown molding in my living room but I'm trying to figure out how to do it without getting any paint on the carpet. Obviously I know to lay that painters plastic stuff on the floor but how do I make it stay CLOSE to the molding without it moving and getting on my carpet?

Priscilla from Zwolle

Best Answer

Take a cardboard carton and cut strips and shove the cardboard under the trim. Then when you paint it will drip on the cardboard and not on your rug. You should still use the large painting cloth.

Best Answer

Kind of weird, I know, but my husband used to be a painter and he would lay down plastic or a tarp and throw roofing shingles snug up next to the baseboards and spray everything. They're heavy and thin enough to do the job.

Best Answer

I use wide masking tape. It can go right against the edge of what you're painting and will pull of easily when finished. Regards, Jan UK

I use double stick tape. Put it on the underside of your plastic and it wont move on the floor.

I use old plastic blinds, you can even buy them from the Goodwill at a very low cost if you don't have any in a far corner of your storage room. Just cut the strings from the blinds, and place the plastic in between your molding and your carpet, and pull it along with you as you paint - very effective, and no mess at all! Just don't leave the plastic blind in place ready for your second coat - it will harden there and chip the paint when you then try to pry it off (always have to learn something the hard way, right?)

Use blue painters tape and tape it to the baseboards.

Make sure any drips have dried before removing.

You can put bobby pins on the plastic and tuck the end of the pins under the baseboards.

We used post cards and shoved them between the carpet and baseboards...worked like a charm!