AdviceClothing

Something is Eating Holes in Clothing

Something is eating holes in clothing. There are lots of small holes in jeans, shirts, and pants.

Sambt2001 from Scranton

You may have moths or you may have gotton some kind of acid on your fabric. Sometimes, the small holes are from a battery that may have been washed in your jeans.

If you are having problems with insects such as moths, etc. and the clothing is not silk, get a spray bottle and put one ounce of fabric softener in it. Then fill the spray bottle with water. Take out the clothes that are being eaten individually and spritz them with the solution. Allow each item to dry well before storing them. Also, you can use fabric softener sheets when storing sweaters and such in drawers.

Wondering the age of clothing, if new, is is low quality fabric? or if older, I find my tshirts get tiny holes in them with age, normal wear and tear. Also: do you have crickets in your home? They eat fabric, like towels on the floor etc. If you have high humidity, cotton will not last as long also. Cotton doesn't last long like polyester as it is a natural fiber.

My son had this happen to his clothing too. His problem was that he just got a little lazy when washing his clothes. He threw most everything in together and often overstuffed the washer and dryer. To make matters worse, he never buttoned and zipped his pants. His problem was that the clothing rubbed too much when being washed and dried, and the zippers caused the clothing fibers to break down, starting tiny holes in fabrics. It was an expensive lesson for him, but he now takes a few minutes rather than having to constantly replace his clothing. I think he now understands that I wasn't just being picky when I asked him to zip his pants or separate clothing into like types before washing.

Any possibliblty that something sharp is in your washer or dryer? Inspect the inside of each--you may find what I once did--a small roofing nail that had come out of a pocket.

I suspect your washing machine. The other suspect product would be bleach or other harsh product used to clean the items.

I checked mine, they were fine! ;-o)

It could be moths. if this is the case DO NOT use moth balls. they stink like anything. a small bag of dried lavender amongst the clothes, or a little lavender oil on the clothing works just fine :)