Rag Baby Quilt

How do I make a rag baby quilt and is there a pattern? What size blocks are used?

Grami Fran from Utica, NY

There is a very easy baby rag quilt. I used 4" o 5" squares of cottons. Multiple colors are good for a good raggy look. Take 2 sqs back to back and stitch to 2 more sqs back to back using a 1/2" seam. Make a row of these as long as you want the quilt. Make more rows to make the width you want. Stitch the rows together with the 1/2" seams. This makes all the seams allowances on one side. NOW- use strong scissors and clip all those seam allowances. You will want to cut some bulk out of the intersections and space the clips about 3/8" to 1/2". Wash the quilt and dry it. Watch when drying because you will need to clean the lint trap a few times. Every time the quilt is washed, the seam allowances will become fuzzier. I made several for my grand nieces and nephews. They love them.

yes there are patterns.

But they are really simple to make.

Pick your fabrics for the front & back.

Cut it all into SQ. (What ever size you want)

if the quilt is to be used in a could area use batting in between the fabric sqs . Cut the batting 1/2" smaller then you cut the fabric.

I live in the south and use flannel on at least one side so I leave out the batting on most quilts.

After everything is cut you can start sewing. take 1 back & 1 front SQ. (batting if your using it place in the middle) with wrong sides together sew an X do this to all SQ.

Then you can start sewing your rows.

Start with 2 sewn SQ Place Back to Back sew a 1" seam ad the next Sq in the row .continue till that row is finished Do the same with all rows then sew all rows together the same was Back to Back 1" seam.

Then sew around the out side edge of the quilt 1"

Now the Fun starts Clip all the seams & the outside edge about 1/2" clips (don't clip into the seams)

After it is all clipped wash & dry it a few times.

I hope this is clear

Cheryl

Thank you, suem1009 and denimangle, for your feedback. I just made four squares for a test run to see which combination of fabrics works best.

I used flannel as my batting, the same size as the block. I used flannel as one good side block, and homespun, which rags well, as the other side. Then I used a block with all three parts of the block in flannel. I am not sure I like any of the looks. I have a pair of those special spring loaded clips for rag quilts, that's great. The problem on my test squares, I made 4, 2 on top and sewed 2 under them. You know what I mean. Just a 4 block quilt, like the size of a pillow. I used 1" seams to get a fluffer look. I seem to get messed up on the outside corners, not sure which direction to clip. I clip then it looks like a have a chunk of material that is about to fall off. Then when I clip the cross seams, the middle where all the seams intersect is way to bulky. I also didn't get as much ragging as I expected. I have made myself a large bed rag quilt a few years ago and that was less trouble. But this is for my brand new GREAT grandbaby and it has to be perfect. Could use more help or perhaps websites that are clear with their directions and pictures up close.

thanks, much

grami Fran

You can make your patches as big or as small as you want -- I recommend a 7 inch square for a baby quilt. Here's some easy tips -- go to a glass shop & ask them to cut plexiglass squares for a template. Then just use a rotary cutter to cut the squares. You can cut several layers of fabric at a time. I got 3 plexiglass squares of varying sizes for $5.00!

instead of cutting batting & having it shift during sewing, just use several layers of flannel cut the same dimensions as your patches & sandwich them between the patches instead of batting.

With no backstitching, sew an "x" through each patch. Then, sew your patches into rows with a 1 inch seam allowance & backstitch. Then lay your rows out & sew them together into the quilt with a 1 inch seam allowance -- backstitch your rows Then, make cuts in your seam allowances, through ALL the layers of fabric (including the flannel -- DON'T slice through your stitching!) to create the "raggy" appearance. The flannel used instead of stuffing will add to the raggy effect, making it look fluffier.

Before using your rag quilt, wash it to fluff out the fringes & add to the raggy appearance. For the first 2 or 3 times it is washed, watch your dryer's lint trap -- it WILL need to be emptied out in the middle of the cycle, because of the threads coming off the rags. Rag quilts are a bit time consuming & a LOT of cutting, but the sewing technique is EASY!!!! It is a great project for beginners & teenagers!

I am wondering if the ragged edges might be a choking hazard if baby tends to chew or play with the edges.

Also, I have made four quilts using different brands and qualities of flannel. Every one of them "ragged" differently. The lesser qualties tended to fray more and look the prettiest but not sure if they would last as long.

Thank you all for the help you gave me. I finished my quilt for my great granddaughter.She was born in Feb. and weighed in at 10Lbs. close to 11. The quilt was a big hit and I am told it is her favorite quilt. Most of the time, mom and baby are covered with the quilt as they nap. Didn't have any problem with little threads coming out after I had washed it twice. I used Downey fabric softner which made it smell nice and made it nice and soft. I didn't know if it was a boy or girl when I started the quilt, so I used either baby themed fabric. When I knew it was a girl, I made a 4 sq. pillow cover in pink themed blocks. Such a good feeling that it is being used with love, plus it is so soft and cozy for cuddle time. Thanks again.

Rag Quilt
Rag Quilt Patterns
Crafts QuiltingJuly 30, 2007
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
Baby Quilt
Baby Quilt Ideas
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
🎉
🎄