Taking the Itch Out of a Wool Sweater

By donna napolitan 12 6

How do I eliminate the "itchiness" of a wool shirt? My son has a beautiful wool shirt with elbow patches on the sleeves, but it's so itchy he won't wear it. Even with a t-shirt under it, he says the collar itches his neck.

It was sort of expensive and brand new, so I'd like to see him get some use out of it. Can I soak it in something to make it less itchy? I wonder if a dry-cleaner might know how to solve the problem? I hate to use harsh chemicals, as my son's skin is pretty sensitive. Thanks for any ideas.

By Donna

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,750 Flag

Your son just might have a wool allergy.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By WoollyLamb 1 Flag

Hi Donna

Best way is to wash the shirt/sweater gently in a wool-wash detergent and then rinse in a fabric conditioner.

If this fails and the product is still itchy, then I suggest you drop a line to the manufacturer. He has used a wool which isn't suitable to the product - ie too coarse and therfore not 'fit-for-purpose' . The right wool wouldn't itch!

Hope the conditioner works!

Kind Regards

WoollyLamb

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

I love wool but I am allergic to it (and even cashmere) and gave up trying to wear it decades ago because no amount of layering underneath, Woolite, etc. helped :-(

I know it's new and expensive but maybe you should consider donating to someone else :-(

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Some people just can't wear wool, no matter how lovely. If he can't wear something underneath, than perhaps you will have to re-gift it or donate it to the thrift store. If it is a shirt, perhaps he could wear a turtle neck sweater underneath so that none of the shirt would touch his skin. If that doesn't work, give it away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceJanuary 7, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cardigan made from altering a sweater.
Make a Cardigan From a Sweater
Purse from an Old Sweater
Making a Sweater Purse or Bag
Knitted Sweaters
Making a Liner for a Knitted Sweater
Sweater Pillow
Making a Sweater Pillow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2016 at 1:22:36 AM on 10.0.0.209 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings