General AdviceConsumer Advice

Finding an Organization for Senior Women

There is a nation-wide organization with the word Federation in it. It employs senior women at a very small salary to work as "grandmas" in kindergarten classes assisting teachers. I can't find anything online and wondering if anyone can help me find the full name. Thanks so much.

Joan from Manassas, VA

I don't have information for an organization with the name Federation in it. However, there are two programs I'd encourage you to look into. 1) Experience Works used to be called Green Thumb and was created as part of the Older Americans Act. I have been employed (as a Senior) with this program. They pay federal minimum wage, $6+ an hour. 2) Foster Grandparents. I know nothing about this program except that they pay a "stipend", which about 6 years ago was about $2.65 an hour. #1 can be found on the Internet. I don't know about #2 on the Net. You can be placed in classrooms under both of these programs if there is a need. Hope this helps.

i work in the school system here in maryland. there are many volunteers. some of them are elderly.