Saving For School Expenses

Purchasing school supplies takes a huge bite out of our budget (and it's a free public education!) Each payday, I place $25 in an envelope to be used for school related expenses (supplies, lunches, yearbook, field trip, etc.) I have even accumulated enough to purchase school clothes from time to time.

At this time of year I stock up on 5 cent crayons, folders and 88 cent markers, scissors and colored pencils, 50 cent portfolios and binders. We always need more half way through the year and it pains me to pay that inflated price. Plus, if I don't use them all, the extras can be used for the angel tree or operation shoebox, taken to a homeless shelter or saved for next year. I keep all my school supplies in a plastic drawer in the basement.

Saving a little each month really helps me have money on hand when there is a bargain that I just can't resist purchasing!

By Diana from Prospect, KY

As this is my son's first year of school (kindergarten) we have to chip in for class supplies as well as his personal items. Luckily I got my list/paperwork early through special placement, but I found that at the end of July, many stores were doing special deals, like buy x amount of certain items, receive a coupon for $1-$5 dollars off school supplies. I had already bought many things on sale before the sales, then had extra supplies at home (we already had on hand: tissue, extra scissors/erasers, etc.) I finished up the rest with the store coupons, only spending 17 cents on his glue supply (the most expensive!) I also got his paints/schoolbag at bargain/thrift stores and garage sale.

What is Angle Tree or Operation Shoebox? How do we get to help and is it in all the states as I live in Mryland?

This is for norgeczech; In answer to you question about Angel Tree and Operation Shoe Box.--- First of all I believe both ministries are nation wide. Angel Tree is a ministry to children of a parent who is in prison to make sure they recieve Christmas gifts.

Operation Shoe Box is a ministry of Samaratin's Purse which is run by Franklin Graham (son of Billy Graham).Each Christmas season churches and other organizations fill shoe boxes for children of specific ages and are shipped to third world countries.

Try looking both organizations up on the internet. I'd be willing to bet they have web sites with all the information you want! Judy(bjptl)

You can go to business expos and get freebies from each business, such as writing pads, pencils, pens, erasers, etc. The last time, I went, I got a tote bag, some wooden back scratchers, candies, along with the other stuff I mentioned. Got a good haul of stuff, not to mention the contests or raffles we submitted our names to. I won a computer hard drive part, that I donated to charity. These expos are free admission, too.

You can go to several different places to get help which do not cost a thing,

They are Salvation Army, your Church, and United Way.

to help with clothes and school supplies.

Photo of a back pack, colored pencils, paper and other school supplies.
Saving Money on School Supplies
Parenting School SuppliesAugust 24, 2006
Wedding Expenses
Wedding Expenses: Who Should Pay?
High School Fundraiser Carwash
Fundraising Ideas for a School Trip
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
🎉
🎄