Keeping Rotary Rules from Slipping

My rotary rulers slip when I am cutting a quilt patch. I cannot afford to buy the new non-slip rulers. A friend said to glue small squares of very fine sandpaper on the bottom of the rulers. Where do I glue the small squares of sandpaper and what glue do I use? Is there another method for making the rulers non-sliping?

Sassy from Central Illlinois

It seems to me, that if you glue a strip of cork or sponge to the back of the ruler...that might work. The thought that popped into my head was the kind of sponge sheeting that shoes are wrapped in or something of that nature. Hope this helps, Nancy

Our quilting teacher said use clear nail polish and fine sand-- I'd think the kind of sand in an hour glass-- but if you sifted sand you should get what you want. There is a product that sticks on the ruler but I didn't like it--

as to where on the ruler-- corners, and middle where you press down and it moves--

good luck

Joanne Fabrics (or similar fabric stores, maybe even walmart craft section) sells small little circles that have a slightly textured surface and are self-adhesive that are made for rotary rulers. They are only a couple of dollars for a package and are usually sold in the same area as the rulers themselves.

When I took a beginner's quilting class, I was told to keep the middle three fingertips (of my left hand, since I cut with my right hand) firmly on the ruler, and the pinkie finger and tumb of the same hand on the fabric, on the opposite side that you are cutting on. It really does work, although it takes a little practice. You could probably do just as well with any combination of fingers on the ruler and others on the fabric. You can work out whatever is comfortable for you.

Crafts QuiltingAugust 23, 2006
A rug sitting on a wood floor.
Keeping Rugs From Slipping
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Family playing games.
Posting House Rules
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety