Kitchen Window Covering

Drapes can be very expensive, so in covering my window in the kitchen, I took a flowered bathroom shower curtain, with ruffles. Take one rod and slip curtain onto rod. Buy $1.00 hanging tassels, in a colour to accent your walls. Pull back drapes from side to side. You will be pleased at the look.

What a great covering for the window.

By Janet from Toronto, Ontario

I do something similiar but use cloth tablecloths. I just throw a running stitch in the top to make room for the rod (a shower curtain rod) and bam all done! I can change the curtains for cheap if need be. Sometimes I can get really nice fabric at my local Joann's for $1 a yard, 3 or 4 yards of that and I have new curtains!

If all the window(s) need are valances, buy cloth napkins in a color or design that coordinates with your kitchen, and place them diagonally, slightly overlapped over the curtain rod. When you want a change, you have napkins to use. To figure how many you will need, measure width of the window and then measure a napkin corner to corner and do the math. I did this in my kitchen with a double window, and a window in the back door. The kitchen is red, white and blue, and the napkins are a blue and whie print. It looks nice, and the napkins were on clearance 2/1.00. I used 14. Couldn't buy curtains/material for that amount.

I also used shower curtains (the kind you have to use with plastic liners - but just the fabric outter layer, of course...) for my bedroom curtains - they were the only ones I could find in the aqua I wanted in my price range....

You can also just use a valance over the window - the are often left in the bargain bins at linen stores...

Crafts Home Decor DecorationsJune 12, 2007
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Roll of Plastic Wrap
Use Winterizing Plastic As Shrink Wrap
Kitchen Window Treatment
Kitchen Window Treatment Color Advice
Window Sheers
Changing the Color of Curtains