DecorationsHome Decor

Kitchen Window Covering

Drapes can be very expensive, so in covering my window in the kitchen, I took a flowered bathroom shower curtain, with ruffles. Take one rod and slip curtain onto rod. Buy $1.00 hanging tassels, in a colour to accent your walls. Pull back drapes from side to side. You will be pleased at the look.

What a great covering for the window.

By Janet from Toronto, Ontario

I do something similiar but use cloth tablecloths. I just throw a running stitch in the top to make room for the rod (a shower curtain rod) and bam all done! I can change the curtains for cheap if need be. Sometimes I can get really nice fabric at my local Joann's for $1 a yard, 3 or 4 yards of that and I have new curtains!

If all the window(s) need are valances, buy cloth napkins in a color or design that coordinates with your kitchen, and place them diagonally, slightly overlapped over the curtain rod. When you want a change, you have napkins to use. To figure how many you will need, measure width of the window and then measure a napkin corner to corner and do the math. I did this in my kitchen with a double window, and a window in the back door. The kitchen is red, white and blue, and the napkins are a blue and whie print. It looks nice, and the napkins were on clearance 2/1.00. I used 14. Couldn't buy curtains/material for that amount.

I also used shower curtains (the kind you have to use with plastic liners - but just the fabric outter layer, of course...) for my bedroom curtains - they were the only ones I could find in the aqua I wanted in my price range....

You can also just use a valance over the window - the are often left in the bargain bins at linen stores...