Cross StitchNeedlework

Red Embroidery Thread Bled on Cross-stitch Project

I rinsed a completed cross-stitch project in cold water and a tiny amount of Woolite. The red thread bled and a light pink stain surrounds all of the red stitching. Does anyone know how to remove the light pink stains. Thanks.

By Fran from Rainbow City, AL

I am 69 years old, and have never had any color of embroidery thread bleed onto the background fabric or onto nearby colors of thread. I never used cold water to wash anything embroidered. When I was young I did numerous pairs of pillow cases, and sets of dish towels, and they always got washed with what ever range of colors the background was. White items got washed in hot water, no matter what. T

his is the way my Mother did it, she always had the old type wringer washer and no dryer, as long as I was at home. There was always some bleach added to the water for the white load, and it never noticeably faded the colored embroidery thread. As each load of clothes was taken out of the wringer washer a little more water would have to be added so that for the other colors of laundry the colors weren't affected by the bleach in the first load. If you are referring to cross stitch, those stitches are so close together I don't know if you can do anything.

Otherwise I would say take a cotton swab, and dip it in bleach, then kind of dab it on the areas where the red bled, just being careful no to touch any colored area. Then carefully rinse the fabric again. I don't know if this will work or not.

Hi, If the cotton bud with bleach doesn't work the way you want. I'd have a look in the laundry section at your supermarket & see if you can buy a rinse that's purely for when dyes run. I don't know what it's called over in the U.S. but it is available. Good luck. Wendy

I use a product called Color Catcher made by Shout company in the washing machine. Try resoaking and adding the cloth (it catches the extra dye). By the way...was that DMC floss? That's all I have ever used and I've never had that happen. You could also contact the manufacturer of the floss.