How Do I Set Red Fabric Dye When Washing for the First Time?

I have a brand new soccer shirt that is mostly red, but has some white in it as well. How do I get the red not to bleed into the white when washing for the first time?

By Scepan from Southwest, MI

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have real good luck using a product by the people that make Shout. They are called Shout Color Catchers. I started using them when I had a red shirt that had a white insert in the vee shaped neck. They are in the same section as the laundry products.

I love color catchers, too.

If your soccer jersey is made from manmade fibers, you may not have to worry about the colors running at all. If it is cotton, I would stick with cold water, and use the color catchers.

I read once, that soaking it in salt water before washing will help set colors--don't know if that is true, but it doesn't seem like it can hurt!

The Shout Color Catchers are great...

Years ago the tip was to rinse the article in vinegar before washing.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingMarch 21, 2011
clothes dryer
Removing Fabric Dye from Dryer
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 3:38:01 AM on 10.0.0.6 in 583 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.