Don't Hang Sweaters and Knits

Fold sweaters and knit garments instead of hanging them. Hanging them can distort the shape of the garment.

I cut a piece of framer's mat board to fit the depth of my dresser drawers (less an inch) and trimmed it to 1/4 the width (again, minus one inch). When I fold a knit I put the mat board in the center of the garment, flush with the upper edge. Then I fold the sides in, one at a time. After that, I kind of look at what I'm folding, and I decide if I have to fold it twice or just once to bring the bottom edge up to the top, I fold it carefully so the final edge is even with the top edge of the garment. And THEN-- I carefully slide my board out of the top, slip it under the whole thing, and carry it to the dresseer drawer, where I slide it into the drawer like sliding an omelet onto a plate.

This works. You can actually pay about $20 for a folding guide, but these are free.

If you can't find mat board use a ordinary piece of cardboard from one of the boxes you're saving for someithing.

I actually have two of these, one for my dresser drawers and one for the linen shelves. It's especially useful for folding fitted sheets to fit on a shelf.

Consumer Advice Clothing TipsNovember 17, 2006
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
old sweaters
Recycling Sweaters Into Crafts
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Removing Lint from Sweaters