Making White Cake Mix Into Chocolate Cake

By VOcarlton 1

How can I make a white cake mix into a chocolate cake?

Trish from CT

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Check out the answers on this post:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... qid=20080103194501AAzZIx8&show=7

and for an estimate on how much cocoa to add check this:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/cakemix.htm

it says: Chocolate Cake

Add to the batter after initial blending:

2 Tbsp. milk

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted

3 Tbsp. cocoa powder

On the Duncan Hines site it says to add 3 sifted Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa to the mix..but they were referring to Angel Food White Cake to choc.

I have added strong brewed coffee in place of the water called for on cake mixes and it seems to boost the chocolate flavor. I haven't used a white cake mix for years...I usually get a yellow mix so I don't remember if they use egg whites only...but I would use the whole eggs if you do a choc version...most full cake mixes call for 3 eggs.

I think those recipes that you also add a box of instant pudding to the cake mix...usually for bundt cakes...would up the chocolate factor too. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. I might try it with a Yellow mix sometime. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By KL 3 554 Flag

sorry...that post below (or would it be above?) was me. didn't know I wasn't logged in.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately, I had to have this ready for last night, so I just had to wing it. I had some sweetened bakers chocolate in the cabinet so I knew I could use that I just wasn't sure how much. I was afraid to make the whole cake chocolate because I didn't really know how it would turn out. I ended up making the white batter per the box directions, then I melted 3 squares of chocolate and combined it with 1 cup of the white batter. I dropped it in clumps, 1/2 cup into each pan, and then swirled it with a butter knife to make a marble cake. It came out beautifully, thank goodness. This was a birthday cake for my nephew, and it was delicious.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Try using a 3 oz. box of dry chocolate (not devils food) instant pudding mix to your batter. That works for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Cake Mix in Bowl With Wisk
Improving Boxed Cake Mixes
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMay 20, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Chocolate fondue
Chocolate Fondue Recipes
Cake Mix in Bowl With Wisk
Improving Boxed Cake Mixes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 12:15:06 PM on 10.0.0.145 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings