Browsing: Improving Boxed Cake Mixes

Making White Cake Mix Into Chocolate Cake

How can I make a white cake mix into a chocolate cake?

Trish from CT

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Check out the answers on this post:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... qid=20080103194501AAzZIx8&show=7

and for an estimate on how much cocoa to add check this:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/cakemix.htm

it says: Chocolate Cake

Add to the batter after initial blending:

2 Tbsp. milk

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted

3 Tbsp. cocoa powder

On the Duncan Hines site it says to add 3 sifted Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa to the mix..but they were referring to Angel Food White Cake to choc.

I have added strong brewed coffee in place of the water called for on cake mixes and it seems to boost the chocolate flavor. I haven't used a white cake mix for years...I usually get a yellow mix so I don't remember if they use egg whites only...but I would use the whole eggs if you do a choc version...most full cake mixes call for 3 eggs.

I think those recipes that you also add a box of instant pudding to the cake mix...usually for bundt cakes...would up the chocolate factor too. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. I might try it with a Yellow mix sometime. Good luck!

sorry...that post below (or would it be above?) was me. didn't know I wasn't logged in.

Thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately, I had to have this ready for last night, so I just had to wing it. I had some sweetened bakers chocolate in the cabinet so I knew I could use that I just wasn't sure how much. I was afraid to make the whole cake chocolate because I didn't really know how it would turn out. I ended up making the white batter per the box directions, then I melted 3 squares of chocolate and combined it with 1 cup of the white batter. I dropped it in clumps, 1/2 cup into each pan, and then swirled it with a butter knife to make a marble cake. It came out beautifully, thank goodness. This was a birthday cake for my nephew, and it was delicious.

Try using a 3 oz. box of dry chocolate (not devils food) instant pudding mix to your batter. That works for me.

Cake Mix in Bowl With Wisk
Improving Boxed Cake Mixes
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMay 20, 2008
Hot Chocolate Mix
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Chocolate fondue
Chocolate Fondue Recipes
Cake Mix Brownies
Cake Mix Brownie Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 10:36:37 PM on 10.0.1.143 in 828 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.