Recipes for Diabetic Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt

I am a fat diabetic and bought an ice cream maker to try to cut down on the fat in ice cream. I want to make frozen yougurt and ice cream that are low fat and use Splenda for sugar. I can use real fruit. Any recipe ideas would be great.

By susanfromhamilton from Hamilton, ON

You don't need the ice cream maker for these: sugar free cool whip layered with sugar free pudding. Serve frozen. Throw a few of your favorite nuts in to the cool whip or pudding for an awesome decadent flavor.

Basically, a good yogurt in quart size, plain; I like the heavier ones, your splenda in amounts you like, and any fruit you have on hand. For one quart of yogurt, I'd use 2-4 cups of fruit, chopped, mashed, blended with a cup of yogurt in a blender, anyway you can get it in the form you want. Follow freezing directions. You can pre peel fruit or blend so peeling is part of mix if you like. Fiber is very good for diabetics. You wouldn't want a peach skin in though. Just depends.

You could add flavoring as well, for instance a tiny bit of almond flavoring for peach. For apples, you might put in a sprinkle of cinnamon. I've made frozen yogurts in a freeze and stir type ice cream maker and pretty much anything works. Also made sorbets, by blending fruits in blender. Mmmmm, don't need much else. I'm going to try pumpkin I think, with pie spices for frozen pumpkin yogurt. Get my vitamins anyway I can.

Thank you for the feedback, I am going to try those ideas out. I am making V8 juice for canning today, no sugar, little salt, lots of fiber from veggies. Thanks, got the recipe from recipe czar.

I use any recipe I want which will fit into my ice cream maker and substitute splenda for sugar. Then use 1/2 one percent milk and 1/2 fat free half and half. It is very good.

Go to www.pickyourown.org/howtomakeicecreamwiceffsf.htm. It gives a recipe for fat-free sugarless homemade ice cream. I have not tried it but it does sound like something very good for diabetics or anyone else who likes ice cream but would like to lose some weight.

Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting DiabeticAugust 25, 2009
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
🎄