Pine Tree Stump Coffee Table

We found a tree stump and we're turning it into a coffee table with a glass top. We're planning to use Danish oil. We're not sure what type of wood it is, but I think it might be pine. Is Danish oil okay?

By Gracie and Johnny from Toronto

Answers

I think I would remove the bark before taking a stump inside. There are sometimes nasty bugs that you don't want in your house.

Spray the stump with diluted bleach water to kill any critters that are still in the wood. After it has dried, use a sanding sealer to seal the wood all the way around on every surface. Then sand until it is smooth on the top and bottom.

After that you will need to put on a finish. I use several coats of varnish. Sand between coats. Start with 80 grit and work up to about 400 grit for a really smooth finish.

Then get a quart of polyurethane and put several coats on, also sanding with very fine sandpaper between coats. You will know when you have the desired finish. It will shine.

Let it dry completely before using it, several days to about a week.

August 24, 2009 Flag

I have a large pine tree stump that I would like to finish and make into a coffee table, but I am unsure of how to do this. It is 3 feet high and 2 feet in diameter with the bark still around it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Karen from Boise, ID

Answers:

Pine Tree Stump Coffee Table

My neighbor had to cut a tree down, and it has a big hole in it where coons lived. I sealed the inside with wood sealer, I think I used the deck sealer, and sealed the outside, bark and all and am using it as a planter. Fantastic, also have a big stump using as a table, all we did was seal it really well with a good sealer, we have had the same one for about 7 years now, and am getting ready to reseal it. Go to the paint store or hardware and tell them what you need a sealer for and they can tell exactly what you need. No need to remove the bark, if it is sealed good, cause the seal will run down between the trunk and the tree itself. Hope this helps you out some. Rose (07/08/2006)

By Rosa

Pine Tree Stump Coffee Table

I make these professionally. I remove the bark. Beetles and other bugs live in the bark. Pieces if not dry need to be dried. Airdried, for a few months, or helped along with a heater or woodstove. What you want is for small cracks or checks to appear all around the top and bottom, not 1 or 2 big cracks.

So if you do heat it, you would want to turn it regularly. Sand the cut edges smooth. Then treat it with a modified linseed oil. This is a natural insecticide and will help with the curing. Then I finish with 5 coats of spar urethane. Your piece still may develop a crack. Chock it up to character. This piece, I cut the sides to expose more of the beautiful grain. (09/29/2008)

By Ted

RE: Pine Tree Stump Coffee Table

beautiful top down view of tree stump
Reusing Tree Stumps
Crafts NatureAugust 24, 2009
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Photo of a tree stump.
Getting Rid of a Tree Stump
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
🎉
🎄