Sea Shell Wind Chimes

Category Nature
A fun project that can include an adventure collecting shells at the beach. This guide is about sea shell wind chimes.

Catherine Forman10 found this helpful

A set of seashell wind chimes is a great reminder of a summer vacation at the shore. Kids and adults love to collect shells, and here's something creative to do with them!

What you need:

Step One: Preparing the Shells

1. When you get the shells back home, the first thing you'll want to do is wash them! Clean out the sand, the bits of seaweed, whatever debris is stuck to the shell.
  2. Ad

3. After the shells are dry, you are ready to make the holes. Young children may need an adult's help with this part! Take your screwdriver or other pointy implement and grab a shell. Pick the spot you want the hole to be -- mark it with a pen or marker if you need to. Using a twisting motion, bore a hole in the shell. Some shells are thicker than others; don't use too much pressure or the shell can shatter.

Step Two: Hanging the Shells

1. Measure a length of fishing line and cut it. If you want all your shells to hang at the same length, make all the plastic thread the same length. If you want your shells to hang at different lengths, make the thread different lengths!
  2. Thread the fishing line through the hole and knot it securely. Tie the other end to whatever you are hanging your shells from -- a piece of branch, a wooden dowel, a piece of driftwood, whatever.

Step Three: Special Effects

1. Be creative! You can hang more than one shell on a piece of plastic thread; just be sure the thread is strong enough for the weight of the shells! Put smaller shells closer to the top and larger ones towards the bottom.
  2. Once all the shells are tied to your branch, you can decorate the top to hide the knots. Wrap yarn around the branch or glue more shells along the top.
  3. And don't forget you'll need a way to hang your seashell wind chimes. Take more fishing line (or a sturdier sort of line if you have it) and tie it to each end of your branch. Hang from a hook and wait for the wind to blow!

This craft is a good one for a Bible school class. The Bible mentions several times the making of a joyful noise in praise of God. This is a guide about joyful noise sea chimes.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I'm making my mother a sea shell wind chime for Mother's Day. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could put a small hole in the shells without breaking them?

Thanks to anyone who can help,
Brittany from Florida

Answers

By Joyce (Guest Post)

You have too use a small drill bit & you have too turn it by hand or the shell will break. Have fun now they are fun too make.

By connie. (Guest Post)

I found it easy to use a dremel tool, to drill the holes in the shells. It works pretty good

By Lori (Guest Post)

Use a VERY small drill bit and drill a hole.

By MotherBear (Guest Post)

I just used a glover. This is a three sectioned pointed needle used with leather. My crab shell did not break due to the sharpness of the needle.

For thicker shells, ie: mussels, etc. use a fine drill bit. These have worked for me. Good luck.

drummel tool is the best

Anonymous

Drill holes in shell with a dremmel drill. I purchased my at the big box stores Home Depot bc I wanted a lot of shells.

Get a shell that you like.Put hole in shell at the top. Drill hole with your new drill.Make sure you hole drill tight in the same spot and your drilled new hole should be ready to go.Also tip for you ,put something like a piece of old carpet underneath when you are drilling...

How does one drill holes in sea shells to string them to make a wind chime?

By Marger

Answers

With a dremel tool

This is an sea shell wind chime I made when I got bored.

shellwindchime.jpg

By Joyce wis

Here are instructions for making the wind chimes. If you have any questions, please post them.

• 6 lbs fishing line
  • Sea Shells
  • Small drill bits
  • A star or circle for the top

I wanted something different so I got a star for the top instead of a circle -- I use 6 lb. fishing string, sea shells of any kind you want and a small drill bit.

Just be careful drilling the hole in the shell, because I did break 6 drill bits doing this. I bought the shells from a craft store so the shells were a little bit harder the regular shells are. I drilled a hole in just one end.

At each of the points of the star I tied the strings to go down. I didn't measure the string I just guessed at it, but it is about 2 ft. long. I put 6 sea shells down each string. Where I tyed the string together on the top, I put a fishing lure. I left it longer to come down for the center one where I have 8 shells coming down. I hot glued each one were i did tied the knots at so they wouldn't come out.

I hope this did helps you a lot. I also just got though making another one with the shells from when I go out too eat at a Chinese place here. Instead of leaving the clam shells there and let them throw them out I brought them home with me -- washed them up and let them dry.

Then the next day I drilled a hole in each end of it. There is 4 strands coming down with another in the middle.

Answers:
Sea Shell Wind Chime 08/14/2005
Joyce - OH MY GOSH! Those are beautiful. I too have a bunch of shells that I have picked up on trips and the like. That is absolutely beautiful. I don't have any kind of drill though so could you please make a suggestion? I'd appreciate it. I am just jumping up and down on the inside. Thanks so much for the inspiration.
By Tonya
Sea Shell Wind Chime 04/26/2006
AWESOME
By suzanne