Using Petroleum Jelly as a Moisturizer

I cannot spend too much on face moisturizer, and I want to keep my face soft to put on foundation. Can you put petroleum jelly on your face to moisturize it? I do not know if I want to do this because I think it may cause clogged pores. What do you think?

Mary from Chicago

My mother in law does use it occasionally. She looks greasy but loves the way her skin feels after it soaks in!

My massage therapist says no NO NO! It's a petroleum product apparently. I'm not sure what you'd want to use instead. I really like Olay.

I use it from time to time, but I do like to use baby oil instead.. it is thinner and easier to put on plus it smells better.

Olive oil is a great moisturizer!

My sister used to have severely dry skin on her face and was allergic to a lot of lotions. A dermatologist told her to use petroleum jelly, but put it on with wet hands as this helps it to spread thinner and not be so greasy.

Yes I use Vaseline every morning on my face, lot of ladies ask me, what kind of make up & etc I use on my face, I do not have any wrinkles,not bragging I look lot younger than my age, on top of the Vaseline. I apply baby powder then cover girl liquid makeup from Dollar store then a little lipstick for rouge, then put on lipstick, if they ask my age I tell them I'm 39 like Jack Benny. I'll always be 39,"Ha". Hope this helps.

From what I've read, don't! Try using a cold-pressed vegetable oil like olive, almond or virgin coconut oil instead. It's lighter and won't hurt your health. As a bonus, cold-pressed oils keep their vitamin A content and don't clog your pores. And, you can use them as makeup removers, too!

Thank you to those who responded after reading your responses and reading other posts on this website since extra virgin olive oil is recommended by many fans of thriftyfun I will use organic extra virgin olive oil if not too expensive. If it is too expensive, I will use non organic extra virgin olive oil.

I use the brand name petroleum jelly every night. And it is great and it has never cloged my pores.Hope you find something you like.

My Dermatologist told me Petroleum Jelly is as good as anything else.

That stuff is toxic. It's petroleum! Mineral oil is the base for baby oil and it's a petroleum product too. Both get absorbed and circulate throughout your body. Use nutritious products instead, such as plant oils. I especially like almond oil, from the health food store. It's more expensive than other plant oils (less than walnut oil) but far cheaper than face creams.

A friend of mine was told by her dermatologist that the best moisturizer (she is a senior) is Crisco.

I use sorbolene and have been doing so for years - I buy a reasonably good brand that is made in my own country - it is inexpensive and doesn't cause my skin to adversely react

The way Petroleum Jelly is manufactured is that it has a chemical formula that is bigger than your skin pore size so it cannot clog pores. It is perfect for breakout prone skin. After cleaning you skin, leave it wet. Put a tiny ( I mean just barely tap your finger into the jar) and rub between your wet hands. Then smooth over your still wet face. It is a great moisturizer and seals in the water that is left on your skin.

Mary - I am 62 years old and have been using petroleum jelly for years on my face. I put it on my face at night and as a base under my makeup. In the a.m., I wash my face, dry it, put on a light coating of "jelly", go make the coffee and come back after it's absorbed a bit and finish the makeup. I've never found it to clog.

Hi. I have found and have been using vaseline petroleum jelly cream deep moisture. It is fragrance free , non-comedogenic (won't clog pores), hypoallergenic and has vitamin E.It is not heavy or greasy and absorbs quickly.The tube is 4.5 ounces and ,at around $3 a tube, it is a great value. I find it in walmart and kmart, but it is usually on the bottom shelf of the display,I guess because it is not expensive.Just be aware that there is no SPF in the product, so you would need a foundation that has one to be fully protected.

Kathy for 62 years have you been using name brand petroleum jelly or the generic brand?

I worked with a woman who was about ten years older than me and she had beautiful, dewy skin. Guess what? She used petroleum jelly and had for years. I used it and it clogged my pores like nothing else.

We're all different, but my opinion is that it's a petroleum by product and can't be good for skin by it's very nature.

It's perfect to use on the face during the Winter when you are out shoveling snow...but I would hesitate to use it daily as it doesn't allow the skin to breathe. It is a shield to prevent chaffing or rash (as on a Baby's Bottom). Baby Oil is just a liquid for of Petroleum Jelly, good makeup remover in limited use, but again neither are Beauty Products and can clog pores. Thrifty yes, but not a long term beauty benefit. They are used on the skin areas where no oil glands are present. Known to be used on a Baby, bottom, hands, arms etc. Never on the Baby's face. Try a traditional moisturizer used for the face and neck for an Adult. You can find reasonably priced ones @ CVS anywhere from $5.00 and up with better results long term. Good Luck! :)

Exactly! Agreed.

I watch the Dr's show on t v. Just last week they strongly said for us to use Vaseline on our face & all over the body. I've done this since teenage years,no wrinkles & much cheaper than other lotions & creams.

I'm a guy, I use it in the Mornings after my shower. I put it on my face, wait a few minutes (My body temperature kind of melts it) then I wipe off the excess. It is better than all the expensive moisturizers that i have ever bought.

Marvelous product for a small price. It saved my crowing glory. I now have thick luscious curly hair. Love it. Thanks petroleum jelly.

I wouldn't suggest doing that. Not that Petroleum jelly doesn't have any moisturizing effects, it does, but it also acts mostly as a barrier and doesn't absorb enough into the skin to keep your face moisturized. Also, the skin on the face needs to breathe, it needs to be able to sweat and get oxygen, and the jelly would actually block the face from being able to release those which actually could cause more issues. My top recommendation for skin for the face, or anywhere actually is straight up pure vitamin E oil. I had tried everything under the sun except the oil to bring moisture back into my face, and nothing worked....until I tried the vitamin E. I had so many breakouts, my face was raw, dry and peeling and was a complete mess. It healed my face up completely and my skin looks a LOT better. While my face is still on the dry side, as long as I use this nightly, I'm not having hardly any problems regarding my skin, and I am so completely happy. The oil its self is QUITE thick when applying, so I recommend applying it at night. But I cannot recommend it ENOUGH!!! And it's super cheap compared to all the moisturizers with brand names and whatnot- and it worked better than ALL those expensive brands I tried!!

Woman putting on Lotion
Moisturizing Tips and Techniques
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care MoisturizerNovember 24, 2008
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Bottle of olive oil with olive branch in the foreground.
Using Olive Oil as a Moisturizer
Woman putting moisturizer on her hands.
Removing Moisturizer Stains from Clothing
Petroleum Jelly
Uses for Petroleum Jelly
🎄