Moisturizing Tips and Techniques

Category Moisturizer
Added moisture can help your skin stay smooth and supple. This guide contains moisturizing tips and tricks.

Here is a cool summer tip. Put your face cream/moisturizer in the refrigerator! It is so cool when you apply to your face and neck.

By Vivian from Longs, SC

Inexpensive lotions and creams do not moisturize skin well, but after being unemployed for over a year, the better ones were out of my budget. I found that adding a little bit of Vitamin E Oil (I bought mine at Dollar General for $2) to a new bottle of inexpensive lotion really ups its moisturizing power.

After showering, I also dab some of the oil straight on to my neck and the dry areas around my eyes and massage in for a great inexpensive all night moisturizer. This saves a lot of money on expensive face creams and I am actually seeing better results!

By texasauthor1 from Dallas, TX

I no longer waste money on expensive moisturizers. I have found two products that are amazing and very inexpensive. The first is cocoa butter in a jar. It is made by Queen Helene and is a very rich and very moisturizing body cream that can also be used on the face (I found it at CVS). It comes in a big jar and is about $3! I slather it on after a bath or after washing my face. It is as rich or richer than those expensive body butters and has a nice pure smell.

The second item is vitamin E oil. I bought a bottle of it at my local pharmacy (CVS) for 2 or 3 bucks and the stuff is great! I use it under my eyes at night and on my wrinkles. I also rub it into my nails and on my heels at night (which I cover with a sock).

Both of these items were on the bottom shelf. Hmm, sometimes it pays to look around. :)

By Carol from Lancaster, PA

Make your hand and body lotion work better! When you are putting hand cream on, add a little baby oil. I use the gel. Just a little, mix it up well before you put it on your hands. The oil keeps the lotion on your hands longer and keeps you SO moisturized! Try it! You'll like it!

Apply facial moisturizer before blow drying your hair so the heat from the blow dryer doesn't dry out your skin.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

There are natural oils, vaseline and even dollar store face creams that give people good results. This is a guide about inexpensive face moisturizer.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Dry skin is a common ailment that many people experience in the winter. Olive oil is a great natural moisturizer. This is a guide about using olive oil as a moisturizer.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Rather than stick to one brand of moisturizer or face cream, I like to switch around the products - and my skin seems to appreciate it! This is where sample packages of various lotions can play a role in your skin care routine - use them to supplement your usual lotions and creams in rotation.

One way to save money on moisturizers is to use less expensive substitutes such as baby oil or lotion. You can also make your own, tailored to your personal skin needs. This is a guide about saving money on moisturizer.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It's been particularly dry this year and I have been slathering on the hand cream/face cream/lip balm! Somehow I find that my skin reacts better when I vary the types of lotion/cream I use, so I switch off.

Does anyone have a homemade recipe for a dry skin moisturizer for face and body?

Jamish from Ransom, Kansas

Answers

I wash with ivory soap, moisturise with Johnson's 24 hour moisture lotion and use extra virgin olive oil when I get really dry. I will dab it on my face, elbows and knees as needed. If I feel really dry and itchy I add some to my bath. I stand up before the bath drains and I am covered in a light layer of moisture that I only pat dry. Hope this helps....

I buy pure (and not chemically processed) shea butter from www.womensgold.com, mix it with a bit of "carrier" oil (such as sunflower or almond), and use it year-round. It is amazing; it is the only moisturizer I will use, and my son, daughter, and son-in-law are hooked, too.

Go to the dollar store and buy a large bottle of baby lotion (dollar store brand) a small jar of vaseline, and a jar of vitamin e cream. mix all and put in containers ( i use funnel and put back in original containers.) If too greasy, you can use 2 bottles of baby lotion. This is great for moisturizer, cheap, and lasts a loooong time.

I use the shea butter mixed with a small amount of natural coconut oil. For aroma I will add a few drops of almond oil or some other essential oil. This truely will moisture and not leave an oily film.

This is a recipe from recipezaar, go to recipezaar if you wnat to read the ratings
You will see the change in your skin after a week.
Recipe #61610
Internal Detox For Glowing Skin
This is a great, simple drink to detox impurities from your body. It cleanses your body from the inside out. Extremely easy to drink too. Have one first thing in the morning, and one before bed. You will see the difference within a week.

2 1/2 teaspoons good quality honey
1 slice lemons, 1 inch
1 cup hot hot water
Add Honey to the boiling mug of water, stir till completely dissolved.
Add the slice of lemon and allow it to brew for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Sit back and enjoy the drink.
---------------------------------------------
Lotion for Dry Skin

2 (9 ounce) bottles of baby lotion
2 (8 ounce) jars of vitamin e lotion
4 ounces vaseline petroleum jelly
Pour everything into a large bowl and mix with electric mixer until smooth. Pour into lotion pump bottles.
.

i use virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. a little goes a long way!
for lips, dab with raw honey and let set. it will mostly soak in if your lips are really dry. great for cold sores too.
you can add a couple of cups of whole milk or milk and cream to your bath. to that you can add a half to one cup of honey. pat your skin dry.
don't use anything with a petroleum base if you can help it. anything you put on your skin eventually ends up in your body in minute amounts. that is the theory behind all these patches of medicines we see these days. that said...the closer to natural, non man-made the better.

Oh, another thought; being a "shower" (as opposed to "bath") person, I keep a plastic squeeze bottle (like a ketchup/mustard dispenser) filled with some kind of vegetable oil, scented with a bit of essential oil, in the bathroom, and use just a bit, overall, while I'm still wet...great for winter!

I just use plain Extra Virgin Olive Oil! I use it every night and wake up with soft, smooth, silky and literally glowing skin! It works wonderfully on my dry skin and absorbs very quickly.
If you're not so crazy about the scent, you can just add a few drops of essential oils to make it smell nicer, but I'm alright with the scent. Besides, the smell does go away within a couple of minutes.
It's cheap, natural and probably sitting in your kitchen cupboard right now! (You should use Extra Virgin because it's least processed, meaning all the good 'stuff' is still in it, meaning more nourishment and it'll work more effectively)

EVOO is the best...
Hey Post by PICO (194) | (11/13/2006).. says add Honey to a cup of boiling water .
But as far as i know.... Honey shud be added to hot water n not boiling. Coz honey added to boiling water turns TOXIC.....
SO please PICO.... Chk the receipies before u advise .... coz many people here are not aware.. they might blindly follow anything...
Please take care

Maria,
I could find NO evidence in any reputable source of honey becoming toxic when boiled and have NEVER heard of that. And honey is heated to very high temperatures in baked products all the time with no toxic effects - so I am curious how valid this is. Please, what is your source for that information?
Thanks

Honey turns into sugar, not literal poison, when boiled. This guy has details: http://lifestyl  die-Honey/31913/

For chemists out there: How can we double the Gold Bond formula in our kitchens? Thank you.

Ingredients: Rose Water (see recipe below), Sweet Almond Oil, Beeswax
Pick rose petals (3/4 of a mug) infuse in water and leave for 5 days in a warm sunny spot (a window is most suitable) Strain and keep the water.

1. Warm 3/4 of mug of sweet almond oil with 3/4mug of beeswax gently in a basin over a pot of simmering water (like melting chocolate) don't let get too hot, the slower the better stirring gently.
2. Warm the rosewater in a separate pot gently.
3. Add rosewater to first mix and whisk vigorously for 5 minutes.
4. If you want extra boost for dry skin take a vitamin E tablet and burst into mixture.
5. You should be left with a cream coloured moisturiser.
6. Add 3 drops of lavender, and 1 drop of rose or sandalwood essential oils.

Store in fridge....

(Fiona Dunne, Aromatherapist, Prescription Cosmetics Expert)

Half an avocado with an egg yolk, mash together and place onto clean fresh skin, leave for 20 minutes, wash off with cool to tepid water. This will not only freshen skin and leave you feeling fresh it will replace vitamins you have lost through over use of animal fats in soaps.

Use the other half of the avocado with the egg white whisk egg white to a froth in single bowl, mash avocado in separate bowl when egg white is whisked enough place together and mix well, place onto face and leave 20 to 30 minutes, wash off with cool to tepid water, this will leave your skin rehydrated and fresh.

Try aqueous cream with 10 % olive oil. I have been using it for years and it is very cheap. Aqueous cream is available for about AU$13.from chemist and olive oil from your kitchen. You can use it as moisturizer, soap, and make up removal.

For those of you with dry skin or not. This is a treatment for your skin that the Italians have used for years. Never to young to start taking care of your skin. I am a 67 year old woman and have no wrinkles, and my skin smooth. Have made this for all my friends and now they are addicted to it....men can use this as well as women....
olive oil grapeseed, walnut, almond, or any other lighter oil that is natural vitamin E oil. Can be purchased at a health food store
regular cooking sugar
for fragrance use oil such as peppermint, or any fragrance of your liking
I make this in large batches, but can be made in small one. Put sugar in a large bowl, add enough olive oil to the sugar so that the sugar is well coated and there is a small layer of oil, add the remaining ingredient and mix will..
When you shower, first lather yourself and rinse.....then use the body scrub all over your body scrubbing your feet as well, your neck and face. Rinse off scrub. You will have removed all the dry skin, and conditioned your body naturally.

Does anyone have an idea on what body moisturizing lotion would be good to use after going to my tanning salon?

By lrrn567 from Bristol, CT

Answers

This is not what you asked for so if you don't want to read it just move on. Have you heard the latest on tanning beds? They're VERY dangerous! Go to cbs.com and read the report that was on tonight's news. Just an old lady being bothersome, I guess. I just would like YOU to get to be an old woman!

I'm 63 so that isn't bad. I don't smoke or do anything that's bad.

We use Banana Boat After Sun moisturizer after being out in the pool. It is a moisturizer and doesn't dry out your skin the way a gel does. It helps prolong your tan and keep you from peeling. And it has a nice fragrance!

After sunning I use Neutrogena sesame oil. It smells great and makes your skin silky smooth.
Sandy

I really need a good "works every time" home remedy for dry, flaky, "elderly" skin. Help!

By MT

Is there any solution to make my hands soft?