Apple Pie Squares

Ingredients

• 4 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cup cold butter

Filling:

• 8 cups sliced peeled zucchini
  • 2/3 cup lemon juice
  • Ad
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press half of the crumb mixture into a greased 15x10 inch baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Set remaining crumb mixture aside.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring zucchini and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 cup reserved crumb mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in walnuts and raisins. Spread filling evenly over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Thank you! I was looking for one like this and didn't know it. :)

There aren't any apples in this recipe. Am I missing something, or is it that this is supposed to taste like apple pie?

It's not a mistake -- zucchini is used instead of the apples. You can't tell the difference. I make a Mock Apple Pie using zucchini instead of the apples. My husband was fooled and amazed when I told him that it wasn't apples in the pie. He hates zucchini but loved the pie. I use my regular apple pie recipe but precook the seeded zucchini. Most important thing to do is to make sure the zucchini is drained thoroughly. I add my spices to the zucchini and bake. Everyone that tastes this pie is surprised that apples are not used.

That's what I thought.....maybe it should be called Mock Apple Pie Squares. :-)

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts Fruit DessertsAugust 1, 2007
Apple Pie
Diabetic Apple Pie Recipes
Washable Wiping Squares
Reusable Toilet Paper (Cloth Wiping Squares)
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider
🎄