Painting Over Smoke Stains

I had a problem with our gas fireplace and didn't realize it until a few weeks went by. Apparently the flue was never opened all the way, so now I have some dark stains on my ceiling.

Silly me, I went out and bought ceiling paint and started painting. Then I read that you need primer or sealer on first! RRR! I'm not a DIY-type of person, so this has been frustrating.

Anyway, the stains are not black anywhere, but it looks 'shaded' in some areas.

Will it be OK for me to just continue putting coats of regular paint on? If not, do I have to strip the paint, put on primer, and then paint again?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kev

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

No problem, just takes time. You can apply primer over the paint you've done. It dries quicly. Then add a coat of paint over that.

Good luck!

Try KIltz & then paint, this should take care of the bleeding.

You've already gotten the right advice for taking care of your ceiling-it's simple, really. But, before you do anything else, GO BUY A CO DETECTOR! If that gas fireplace malfunctioned long enough to soot up your ceiling, you're very lucky that you haven't given your local funeral director some early business. Spend $20.00 and stay alive.

Well i have learned alot in the last week about painting !!! u may want to wash the walls with a product called TSP it wont take the primer off the walls and when u have done that then u can paint it whatever color u want Follow directions for using the TSP

Its o.k. that you already have painted over the spots ad an additional coat of KILZ its a primer that covers water spots and smoke stains it can be bought at your local wal-mart just like paint, you can buy a quart or a gallon. It also works for other stains and can be used as a "paint" and can be customized to all sorts of colors if you dont want white. Good Luck!

It doesn't matter how many coat of water-based emulsion you use, the stain will come back through when it's dry. A cheap way of sealing the stain is to use a oil-based undercoat or a oil-based gloss. Let it dry then apply the emulsion and the stain shouldn't come back through.

I am painting kitchen cabinets from a house with a chain smoker. I lightly sanded and cleaned with TSP, sprayed two coats of Kills primer. The smoke stains are still coming through; I cannot use oil base paints or stains. Any Ideas?

Thanks for the advice about the Kiltz (spelling). I picked up some and will paint over the soot stain before painting over the stained area. Let you know if it works okay.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJune 23, 2005
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 9:47:06 PM on 10.0.2.174 in 520 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.