Thrifty Fleece for Ferret Furnishings

Instead of buying super expensive fleece hammocks and bedding for ferrets or other small fuzzy animals, I buy old fleece winter hats and baby blankets from the thrift stores.

The hats that have ties or velcro straps can be secured to the sides of the cage. My fuzzies love them and they are so cheap I can toss them out when they get too worn out or unwashable.

By akGirl from Anchorage, AK

I used to do the same thing until I lost my beloved Ferret in Sep. 08. I would buy all these winter hats and he would go get them and put them in different places then he would sleep where ever he wanted to. I really miss him. He was my first and last. I do have 9 cats and 3 dogs who still keep me real buzy. Here is my baby in one of the cats bed

I used to make my ferrets' sleeping bags out of old hand towels. I would fold them in half and sew two sides. They were easily washed and replaced. I haven't had ferrets in a while now, they get too sick in this country with congenital illnesses. My vet told me when they began to breed ferrets in this country they didn't have a large enough gene pool. I miss them terribly. They were so funny and such happy little things.

An excellent example of resourcefulness - and I don't even own a ferret, lol!

Thats a great idea! I use oven mitts for my sugar gliders and my hedgehog. I get them at thrift stores for even a bigger savings. Dollar stores are a good place to get them too! I think I'll try the hat idea for my hedgehog, its impossible to get her out of the mitt. Thanks!