How to Repair Small Holes in T-Shirts

I am sure I recently read a tip on how to repair or mend very small holes in T-shirts, but now I can not find it. Could someone please help? I'm desperate!

Carol in South Africa

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Well one way I have always done it is use a little super glue on the hole, you may be able to hold the small whole together if not the glue will keep the hole from becoming larger.

I myself do a very fine sewing together, almost darning on the opposite side. Also pull on the threads that may be loose to close the hole before sewing. Depends where the darn is whether or not it's really noticeable.

If the other ideas don't work and the mending is noticeable, I'd use embroidery thread to either make some textured decorations in the same color as the shirt or use contrasting colors to decorate the shirt. Knit fabric generally does not mend invisibly.

Go to a fabric or crafts store and purchase a small amount of iron-on interfacing, in a light weight. Tear off a very small piece, just a bit larger than the hole; iron the hole area smooth, on the wrong side, and iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric over the hole, following manufacturer's directions (if there are no directions when you purchase, ask the salesperson for some). This is an almost invisible repair, and will last a long time. If it becomes a bit loose with wear simply re-iron it, or iron a slightly larger piece over the first repair, if you find the area is exposed to excessive wear. I have had t-shirts last another 10-plus years with this type of repair.

Here is quick solution. You need some transparent duck-tape and a tiny tiny bit of the original fabric (you can get it from the inside of your T-shirt where the fabric is sewn together). Cut out some duck-tape (about a centimetre larger than the hole) and place it behind the hole on the inside of the T-shirt. Now place the tiny bit of original fabric in the hole on the outside of the T-shirt.

You will be surprised how little you need to repair the hole invisibly.

Answer

Man wearing a white t-shirt.
Repairing a Cotton T-Shirt
Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingSeptember 27, 2007
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Man Putting Spackling Paste is Hole in Wall
Filling Nail Holes in a Wall
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 3:07:10 AM on 10.0.2.131 in 699 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.