Memory Quilt from Childhood

This is a tip for people into quilting, or just into family heirlooms. When my son was about two years old he wanted to build a tent. I got out an old white sheet and hung it between two chairs. We used this same sheet to be his tent for many years, and eventually we began to color, draw pictures, make designs, or write sayings or just whatever, with permanent fabric markers on the sheet. Everyone had to sign their drawings and date them. All the grandparents, friends, and relatives drew on the sheet over the years. In fact, it kind of became a tradition.

Before the sheet got too old, we took it and had it made into a quilt top. My son is seventeen now, and this quilt is one of his prized possessions. Now that all of his grandparents and great grandparents have passed, he can look back at the pictures he drew with his "best friends" and he can still even recall some of the stories that went along with some of the drawings. The quilt is priceless to me as well. I love reading some of my parents' and grandparents' quotes and wishes to my son for his life, seeing their drawings and signatures and recalling those wonderful times we all had together.

By Delene from Portland, TN

Wow! This sounds amazing. Could you post a picture? I have been wanting to do a project like this for my son. He is leaving for college in 2 weeks. While he's away this fall, I plan to go through the "mountain" of clothes he has left behind and work them into a memory quilt to give him when he comes home for Christmas.

What a lovely idea,it is the stuff that family legends are made of. It reminds me that when our oldest grandaughter was at infants school all the children in her class drew a stick-like figure of themselves on a tea towel and then signed their names underneath their drawings. The tea towel was then copied and printed and these were sold for school funds. Grandaughter is now 22 years old and I still have one of the tea towels,it is one of my treasures.

What a wonderful idea.

Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
Crafts QuiltingAugust 14, 2007
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Up close photo of a colorful koi quilt.
Cleaning a Quilt
🎄