Weekend At A State Park

One getaway I would highly recommend is a weekend visit to a state park! I live in Indiana, and you can reserve a cabin for $25 to $35 per night. The cabins are furnished, have electricity, private bathroom and shower, and kitchen. You bring your own linens, dishes, etc. There is no television, which I personally felt was an advantage. We brought cards and board games for entertainment, but you could bring a TV if you really needed one. We stayed for a long weekend and went hiking, explored a cave and a waterfall, went horseback riding and swimming. It was wonderful!

Check with your state's Department of Natural Resources or your local Chamber of Commerce or Parks Department for information in your area.

By Becki from Logansport, Indiana

State Parks make wonderful vacation destinations. I grew up going to state parks. Many have Inns and/or cabins and most have camping facilities too. They are reasonably priced and usually there are activities and a pool.

Hey! Don't be afraid to try the privately owned campgrounds, too. Give Mom's and Pop's a chance. There are many beautiful privately owned campgrounds that offer a lot for a little $.

I am a proud member of the Wisconsin Association of Campground Owners (WACO). I own a campground. If you are interested in visiting my campground, you can mention "Sandy's 2 for 1 offer", 2 nights stay for the price of one. We are near Madison. 608 873-5800.

Our campgrounds seem to have either full sized cabin HOMES, at ridiculous prices, or "screen rooms"

with NOTHING in them except shelter, elec. outlet, and concrete floors, ALL for $18-20/night in avg. driving range, or for adventurous pro-campers:

"Primitive camping sites", with NOTHING, so why bother "renting the space" with no ammenities or

security, or conveniences? I love to camp, fish, hike, and the like, but now that I am alone,older, have no money, I realize that even the simplest of those take a little money! I must settle for a backyard camp and cook out, which is MUCH better than absolutely nothing, right? lol God bless you. : )

I am in Indiana where is the park you are talking about, We love to camp and I am tired of tent camping and havent found a pop up yet.

Sandy, can you give more info about your campground?

My campground has 109 sites on 33 beautiful acres. We have two ponds on our land with a river and lake nearby. We do not have cabins (yet), but we do rent trailers. We have pedal carts for rent, a game room, store, free paddle boat use, large open or wooded sites. We rent by the night, week, month, or season. Nightly rates are $20 for a basic site (picnic table and fire ring) or $25 for water and electric added. Trailer rentals are extra.

I posted a travel info post about fun and cheap things to do in south central WI. Look it up on here and you will find lots of fun things to do in this area for not a lot of money.

Kamp Kegonsa 608-873-5800

Betsy B -- it was McCormick's Creek State Park in Spencer, Indiana (near Bloomington). You have to reserve the room in advance and you pay a deposit which you get back as long as you leave the cabin clean and in the condition you found it.

Lynda -- I'm sorry your area charges so much for so little -- I was pleasantly surprised at what was available here in Indiana. Maybe you should visit here on your next vacation!

Becki, you're right, McCormick's Creek is a very nice state park indeed. I have fond memories of staying there as a kid and my husband & I have stayed in the Inn and camped. I believe that it is the oldest state park in IN and the Inn once was a Sanitorium for people with TB. Another nice park in IN is Brown County State Park. Usually the parks feature an Inn where you can take meals at a reasonable price. I grew up in IN by the way....now in IL.

Debbie52 from IL

Sandy, can you provide more info on the trailers you rent? Can you fish in the ponds?

Silver Falls State Park
Visiting State Parks
Travel and Recreation TravelFebruary 15, 2007
Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone National Park Photos and Information
Teens Playing Volleyball
Weekend Activities for Teens
Shenandoah National Park
Shenandoah National Park Photos and Information
covered bridge
Parke County, Indiana Frugal Travel Guide